Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

adding auto tranmission additives

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Additives are temporal things, do a tranny service and see if metal bits on the magnet (located on the pan).

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I notice the shift kit lol

Cus I got both done at same time hard to say. However I do know that it usually smooths out the changes for a whiles.

If your in adelaide, Id recommend going to DRW, service & shift kit on my VN was around $200-220.

D.

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
lol...well yes I already know what a shift kit feels like. I'm assuming you bought the shift kit and had them install it?
I'm in melbourne, can anyone recommend a transmission workshop?

Last edited:

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
.....actually additives are a temporary fix. A good fluid will help seals. Nothing is a magic fix, but a good fluid will have additives in it designed to work with the other additives found in dex fluid.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
I take mine to Performance Autos in Frankston. They did the service for $110 and replaced a bunch of seals. Cost me last time around $180 all up.

I'm thinking of adding a tranny cooler to further help prevent any possible damage, especially in the warmer months. Is this a good idea?

cev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4
Additives espeically on the VN are just a quick fix, the problem will come back no doubt soon enough.

A Tranny cooler isnt a bad idea as long as ur doing a lot of driving, hard driving especially.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
my (old school) thoughts are tranny coolers are a must. At least get a cheapy from the wreckers in good nic

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Where can you get tranny coolers? Supercheap, Repco???

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
fazz1977 said:
I take mine to Performance Autos in Frankston. They did the service for $110 and replaced a bunch of seals. Cost me last time around $180 all up.

I'm thinking of adding a tranny cooler to further help prevent any possible damage, especially in the warmer months. Is this a good idea?

The tranny cooler is quite good for cars with shiftkits which I found when tow heavy. I found holden cooling kits uses the same cooler as B&M and the pricing is simular.
I saw on repco having the pwr cooler and reasonably priced.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
...or if your a cheapass like me hit the wreckers for the genuine cooler (unless your towing 1500kg worth of boat) seems to work well. Just clean her up well, give her a lick of spray can black...beutiful for about $20-$30

Pajero cooler is a nice size...