Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[202] Adding Power?

1BADHR

Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 HR Holden, 1992 VP Commodore
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to add power to a 202 at resonable costs?

cheers :)

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
We need more info mate...

Like how far are you willing to take the engine, Like stroke it, boost or what?

And what is "reasonable" in your eyes?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Get yourself a set of extractors, a single 2.25" system with a good quality muffler.
Hunt around for a Redline torquer 2 intake manifold and a 350holley (there will be people on here with a dozen other suggestions, Webers from a Falcon for one. The 350holley is the EASIEST and cheapest carb to use, best bang for buck as well. Anyone who argues that is a muppet).

Upgrade to an electric distributor and make sure the rest of the ignition system is in good order.
Change to a twelve port head, if you don't already have one (Only the red motors don't have them).
Upgrade the cam, which cam will totally depend on what you want to do. When you do the cam, remember you'll need to do the rest of the valve train at the same time (short of valves obviously). Personally I like to use timing gears, but its been a number of years since I played with a 202. So there may well be better products on the market.
Look into roller rockers as well, I'm not sure if they're availible, but if they are its definatly worth looking into.

After you get this far you're looking at rebuilding the motor. Which is essentially the point where you buy a 308.

For the record, its not feasible to stroke a 202.
It is possible to get an intake manifold to suit a 4/71 supercharger, I wouldn't do so with the factory bottom end.
Turbo charging is dificult with a carbied 202, and not worth the effort In my personal opinion (They can make good power, but the constant head aches make it not worth while. Been there done that. We made 317bhp@17psi before we lifted the top off a piston, it lasted 4 months, give or take a week.)
If you're really keen, you could go EFI. DO NOT use the factory setup. There are many generic fuel injection systems on the market. Most all of which are far superior to the 27yr old ancient history of a system that holden used in 1986. The only useful item maybe the EFI intake manifold.

1BADHR

Reaction score
Members Ride
well not as far as boost or anything, and probaby around $3000

yeah its got pacemaker extractors with a 3inch right through... i think thats all thats done to it, besides the triple carbs...

This is my first project car, im 17 so im still learning hahaha take it easy :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Take ther 3" exhaust and throw it over your left shoulder. Its too big for the 202.
Failing that read my last post.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
what soop said

1BADHR

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry it has a 2.5 inch exhaust on it, checked it today, the guy whole sold it to me didnt know what he was talking about, and my fault for not checking...
anything else you can add and stay within my budget?

1BADHR

Reaction score
Members Ride
okay thank you.. um for what you told me, do you know what that would roughly total in price?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
It all varies.

Intake manifold and carby might set you back $500 depending if you get a new carb or second hand. 350 holleys are a dime a dozen.