Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Additional Layers of Base (Once initials are dry)

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Hey,

Got a small issue where i've layed down 2 or so base layers of a metallic paint however it needs a few more before i hit it with the clear.
I wont be able to get to the paint shop for a bit so the base is going to cure over the next couple of days.

How should i prep what i've painted so far so i can put down the last layers of base?
Everyone seems to have mixed views on whether or not you should sand a metallic prior to the clear top anyway (some think its ok others say itll scratch it to the **** house).

Basically my plan was to wet-sand the top coat with a super fine grit (1200+) then do the last few layers however does it need it? Can i just spray over the top of the base as is or does it need to be sanded back?

Thanks,
aZk.

SthEastCustoms

Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon
If it's basecoat and not acrylic you have a 24 hour window (not that I would leave it that long) before you have to sand it. in saying that if you plan to leave it for any amount of time longer than 1 hour I would just get a grey scotchie and go over your surfaces. just do it lightly and don't do it wet!