Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjust VE headlights?

speirsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Ute
This might be a really silly question but can you actually adjust the headlights on a 2008 VE? Just seems like they are pointing too low at the moment...
Apologies in advance if I'm completely wrong on this one.

revinR1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Apparently you can ???

I took ours to the local auto elec`s and they have adjusted them a bit higher (they say as high as they could get them) RH low is 100% better than it used to be but LH is still way to low :( . Eleco said I`d have to take back to holden as it looked like the adjuster is bugged ???? Other than that I`m unsure will be trying to have a look mysel next week so looking for a bit of advice also

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
They are adjustable, they should have a lug or something which can be turned by a flat head screw driver. Just take a good look, they can be on an odd angle and they are small.

Also be aware that the angle of the low-beam must also meet certain regulations. I've attached a link to the official Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) for WA and on page 101 it states the proper setup of the low-beam. Just in case you run into trouble with cops.

WA Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards)
Regulations 2002 As at 26 Feb 2011

speirsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Ute
Thanks for the input guys, I'll have a look on the weekend and post up any advice I can give. Cheers.

anthony83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had a problem turning there automatic headlights off and on. the only way they turn off is if the cars is in park by flicking switch to O then it sprigs right back to auto agian and once the car goes into either reverse or drive the lights come striaght back on. can anyone point me in the right direction here. thanks

PhantomV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Motorsport Edition #007 NZ
Yes, the dip value is on the lamp, around 1.1% for low beam from memory. If you find someone with a beamsetter machine its easier and more accurate.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
thanks Abe for that link. I'll copy the most useful bits -

low-beam, for a headlight or front fog light fitted to a vehicle, means
that the light is built or adjusted so that, when the vehicle is standing
on level ground, the top of the main beam of light projected is —
(a) not higher than the centre of the headlight or fog light, when
measured 8 m in front of the vehicle; and
(b) not more than 1 m higher than the level where the motor
vehicle is standing, when measured 25 m in front of the
vehicle;

and

high-beam, for a headlight or front fog light fitted to a vehicle, means
that the light is built or adjusted so that, when the vehicle is standing
on level ground, the top of the main beam of light projected is above
the low-beam position;

and, there is a handy little diagram, that I can't work out how to cut & paste it.

The Owner's Manual tells you what bulbs you need, and how to replace a bulb, but nothing about how to adjust them.

On each side of the car there are two nylon screws, which you approach with your screwdriver in a vertical position.
One screw is for low- and the other is high-beam.
There is an illustration with the 1.1% that Phantom mentions. Near that is a double-headed arrow, and the letters L (lower) and R (raise).

Find a level surface to park on, with a blank wall 8m away (shopping-centre car park, when no-one else is around), and a few minutes later, you'll be right !

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
On each side of the car there are two nylon screws, which you approach with your screwdriver in a vertical position.
One screw is for low- and the other is high-beam.
There is an illustration with the 1.1% that Phantom mentions. Near that is a double-headed arrow, and the letters L (lower) and R (raise)....

Just so to clarify, so as to not bum-steer anyone;
You have two adjusters on your lights. One is UP and DOWN, note that this moves the entire reflector assembly so the high and low beam will both raise and lower at the same rate. The relative position of high to low does not alter, they move together.
Tour second adjuster is LEFT and RIGHT, as the names suggest, it will shift the pattern left or right.

Main points to take away from this is that your inboard highbeam moves with your lowbeam at the same time...

revinR1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Wizeabe: You say can be moved with a flat screw driver . I`ve only had a chance to really pop the bonnet for a 1min look and all I sawwhat looked like an adjuster but was a square or allen key hole with like gears on it and at 90deg .Is this what your talking about sort of level maybe just below the radiator/grill top panel or are the adjusters your talking about further down. like I said been building a cubby house and landscaping yard so haven`t had a close look yet sorry

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Wizeabe: You say can be moved with a flat screw driver . I`ve only had a chance to really pop the bonnet for a 1min look and all I sawwhat looked like an adjuster but was a square or allen key hole with like gears on it and at 90deg .Is this what your talking about sort of level maybe just below the radiator/grill top panel or are the adjusters your talking about further down. like I said been building a cubby house and landscaping yard so haven`t had a close look yet sorry

You are looking at the adjusters.
That same piece also accepts either screw driver in the middle of them...