Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjusting Bands

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Hi guys,
I am just about to adjust my bands on my trimatic.
I was just wondering, when you have torqued the adjusting bolt, do you unscrew exactly 4 turns or 5 turns.
I ask because my Gregories manual says 5 turns and my Max Elleries manual says 4 turns.
I am pretty sure the Gregories manual is correct because the Gregories manual is always correct and the Max Elleries manual is that dodgy that it is filled with a lot of VL stuff?
So, I was just asking you guys.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Also for you guys that have adjusted Trimatic bands before, can anyone please tell me what size socket bit I have to use?

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Trimatic Bands

85berlina said:
Also for you guys that have adjusted Trimatic bands before, can anyone please tell me what size socket bit I have to use?
You need an 'Allen Key' I think they're called & 12mm & 13mm open ended spanners.Got mine apart atm.When they're apart you can really see how & why the Band adjuster works.Inside it pushes a piston onto the Band the tighter you turn it, the tighter it squeezes the band ring.I'm rebuilding mine from an old donor car.They cost bugga all to fix up.Anyone with a bit of Mechanical know-how can/could do it...& I'm not a Mechanic.Learned myself...If you have a mate that's wrecking a car or score 1 cheap around, grab it & rip it apart.I've made up steel cradles on my Jack to lift Transmissions out with no lifting or struggling.

Last edited:

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Ok,
So in my case with my torque wrench, I am going to need a 1/4 inch drive bit that has a 5.5mm hex/allen key head?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
85berlina said:
Ok,
So in my case with my torque wrench, I am going to need a 1/4 inch drive bit that has a 5.5mm hex/allen key head?

Yeah mate you need a 5.5mm hex head. I used a small 1/4" click type wrench. I undid it 5 turns because my GM manual said 5 also.

Don't forget to get the $12 gasket/filter kit and refill your pan bit by bit checking the level so you don't overfill.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Thanks guys.
Another question, can anyone tell me where to get one. I have shopped around and can't find any?
Also, is there an imperial equivalent of the 5.5mm hex head?

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
I am pretty sure that the imperial equivalent of 5.5mm is a 7/32 bit.
This is very slightly larger by about 0.05 of a mm.
So, can someone please tell me how tight a fit the 5.5mm bit was.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Let's just say this. If my 5mm bit was just a little too small, then the 5.5 was a perfect fit. You DO need a 5.5mm bit. You could try a 7/32 bit which is 5.5563mm but whether or not it will work, you'd have to see. It probably would fit as it's pretty close.

You either get the required parts from Total tools or second hand shops or take it to a mechanic and get them to do it. Jaycar have a 100 piece bit set for a little $17 which includes that bit. Then all you'll need is a small 1/4" torque wrench.

85berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK berlina sedan 202
Thats pretty funny because I am actually a casual at Jaycar. I have already looked at this set and it doesn't have the right size.
Total tools doesn't have them. I was quite suprised.
I do have a way around it so its all good and sorry to ask so many dumb questions but being an auto with all that black magic and stuff I just don't want to screw up.