Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjusting the clutch?

>mayhem<

Reaction score
Im sure this topic has been done to death here but i cant seem to find a simple explanation on how to adjust the clutch on a VN? (series1 if it makes a difference)
i did find one thread but it was all too confusing for my small brain.
if someone could give me a simple step by step method, thatd be awse...
Otherwise if someone knows a good link on adjusting the old clutch thatd be appreciated aswell.
thanks in advance, Dan.

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
there should be a screw that is on the clutch cable where it connects onto the gearbox, screwing this nut will tighten the cable up, this helps a little, keep adjusting the nut until you like the clutch, other than that i think once it's been tensioned to the max it's time for a new clutch

>mayhem<

Reaction score
thanks heaps mate, just one more thing, is it easier to get to the cable via the engine bay or do i need to jack it up to do?

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i have a feeling it is easier to jack it up. not 100% sure though

>mayhem<

Reaction score
onya, ill go have a crack....... i was out on the weekend and she decided to start to shudder bad, managed to limp it home but thats as far as itll be going til its fixed.
im pretty sure there should be some meat still on it cos its reasonably new.
thanks for ya help ill let ya know how it went.
cheers

>mayhem<

Reaction score
well i tried to adjust the cable (clockwise and anticlockwise) but no difference, still shuddering and slipping so i guess its a new clutch...
i have only done about 18000 clicks on this clutch, is that usual?
i prolley drive a touch harder than your average bear but 18k dosnt seem much.....

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Theres something really wrong if you 18,000 ks out of the clutch. I'm not sure on the exact figures but I would expect over 100,000. Maybe the clutch plate is still good but there is a fault somewhere else like the release bearing. Did you replace everything when you last changed your clutch? If your flywheel wasn't machined that can cause it to shudder if it's not perfectly flat. Try not to drive it with it slipping to much because it can chew into the flywheel if it's worn.

WaynoVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VN V6 5 Speed
I put a brand new clutch in mine when I did the auto ---> manual conversion almost 2 years ago, I have done about 50,000k's since then and clutch is still like new.

I can adjust mine by laying down beside the driver door, reach under and turn the nut. Is yours plastic ? Doing it up clockwise will tighten the cable giving you more clutch, turning it anti-clockwise will loosen the cable giving you less clutch.

Make sure you don't over tighten it because this will keep your clutch engaged slightly and it will slip like buggery. You want to have some "slack" at the pedal making sure it fully releases.

Did you fit the new clutch that has only done 18,000k's, or did someone else ? It may not have been fitted correctly, did it slip and shudder from the start or slowly get worse ? If your new clutch was fitted to a warped / buckled flywheel then that will diminish the life of your clutch, plus make it shudder.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
A friend warped his flywheel from doing burnouts and stuff. Sometimes it can get so hot it warps and starts to shudder.