Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjusting to a new job.

dumpedvs

sheppa8
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S
Hey guys just after some opinions and maybe some advice.

First of all I'll say I worked in hospitality for my previous job. And I loved it. Usually starting around midday and working through til night. Or starting at 6 at night and working til close.

Recently leaving that job I have started a more career driven path.
The work is very physical and a lot different now starting at 6:30am full time. Working 10-12 hour days 5 days a week and half day Saturdays takes its toll.

So I am just wondering does anyone have any advice on to how I can adjust to this new schedule abit easier. Other than time and getting used to it?

Of course I expect the "suck it up princess" line but anyway have at it.

Cheers.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
get into a good sleeping pattern.
and have a good breakfast.

get into the routine and stick with it.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
It can be hard to change habits, but as you say, time will work it out.
And as stated, you need a good breakfast, otherwise your are behind from the start. Because you are used to being up late, try and go to bed earlier each week. I had a job change years ago, and it took me 3 months to readjust to the new hours.
I hope you enjoy your new venture, and what ever, dont give up the challenge.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
agree with the above
sleep is very important when it comes to long, physical shifts.
So yes, unfortunately that means weeknight late night sessions with the mates or late night movies are out!

I have a similar issue with my job. I went from a regular 8-4 job in an office to a job where I can start at any time of the day or morning (midnight starts, 2am starts, midday starts, 4pm starts) and can work 8-12 hour shifts, sometimes 10 day week, I can be working/standing on the side of a highway in the middle of the night or day, or inspecting road trains in stinking hot heat out west. Over 5 years on and I still struggle with it. But if I have an early start and a big day ahead, I just make sure I somehow get my 7-8hrs sleep. I'm not great at getting to sleep during the day which doesn't help matters, especially when I'm away from home trying to sleep in noisy motel rooms....

Some people never get used to it, you just have to try and work around it as best you can, and catch up on any lost rest when you can

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Sleep pattern is crucial.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
-Eat healthy balanced diet; avoid protein at breakfast, it might make you sluggish for rest of day.
-Try to get exercise (if you can......understandable if there is no time at all), it can be energising and stress relieving
-Google 'relaxation techniques' if you feel it's getting on top of you.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Fresh juice in the morning. Drink it on the drive to work.

Smallish smoko include fruit.

Big lunch.

Small dinner, In bed by 9 or as close to as possible.
You will adjust but it will take time.
What work is it your doing? Are you out in the sun all day?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Everyones different when it comes to breakfast. I prefer just a coffee before leaving for work then make up for it at smoko.
If your feeling sore all over and cramping, try some magnesium tablets or powder from the local chemist. I used to get real tired in the afternoon and always have cramps and sore legs and feet. Massive improvement after taking the magnesium. Stay hydrated too.
Dont smash a massive feed when you get home then try and go straight to bed. Doesn't work in most cases.
Make a point of going to bed at a set time everynight for a while. Once you relax and find your rythem at work you will adjust to what ever suits.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Fresh juice in the morning. Drink it on the drive to work.

Smallish smoko include fruit.

Big lunch.

Small dinner, In bed by 9 or as close to as possible.
You will adjust but it will take time.
What work is it your doing? Are you out in the sun all day?

I say no to a big lunch, if your in physical work it will make you tired while your body digests your food.

I work in a physical job, I have a good breakfast, mostly never eat lunch if I do something light apple at 3pm and a regular dinner at night.