Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ADR Compliant Carbon Fibre Bonnet (group buy).

Would you pay $2200 for vented Carbon Fibre VT, VX, VU Bonnet reduced engine bay temp & 10kg weight?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I wish I had one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Not interested

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Yeah ,would probably be interested depending on design and whether it'd fit over supercharger. My standard bonnet touches in a few places ( well the insulation does) .
Had been thinking of the later vz monaro bonnet but maybe adding the vents off a vf ii towards the back corners. But I understand the later monaro bonnet possibly has even more clearance issues, but I'd modify to clear (hopefully
Considering a genuine vz monaro bonnet costs 1200 to 1500 , 2200 for one that has added vents is lighter , clears all mechanical items , is adr compliant and if wanted just clear coat for genuine carbon look.
As you said probably won't get enough interest or agreement on design .

Put up a pic of the supercharger (or PM me one, so I can get an idea).
They did say this particular design doesn't have the best clearance, but you would need to remove the insulation anyway, so there should be space gained there, but they also have it smoothed out underneath (like pressed steel) so this should give more clearance as well (pic's needed).

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Also,
If we can't get the interest in Carbon Fibre, they also make ADR approved fiberglass bonnets that weigh roughly 13-14kg's each.
When painted they should still have close to a *10kg weight saving over the standard VT Commodore bonnet.
*Still need to confirmation for the standard VT bonnet weight? Believed to be 27kg's?

If they had a mould already made for this bonnet, it should "technically" cost between $990-$1100 like the rest of their bonnets.

They quoted me $2500 to have the same bonnet (as my above idea) made in fibreglass.
The reason for it being so expensive is that they have to make one and a half bonnets to then fuse them together.

Might work out to be a cheaper overall, this includes the deposit.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Don't know how that style bonnet will be on a vt/ vx / v2 will look but certainly different.
So the long story is as far as I know can only load photos with my desktop computer, that died at the beginning of the week. When it rains it pours ,ha ha ha, ( I wish not really) money I would have spent on fixing or replacing it I spent today on a new fridge as it died yesterday , (sometimes you seem to not cop a break) , .
Means I won't have a working desktop computer for I'm guessing a couple of weeks .
All I can say is have a look at my ride thread, monty monaro , there's a couple of photos there of it , might give an idea.

D

devilly

very interesting.... but it would cost more then your thinking as painting it fitting it e.t.c. plus it looks good what your thinking with that pic of the car sorry on the number plate, but on a standard vt vx how would it look then. or if people have kits on there cars they need and idea as to how it would look on there rides before paying out that amount of cash.... I got a spare bonnet dunno how the heck I would be able to weigh it for you tho...

I like the idea of reducing the heat and then it's a style that suits your own ride which is the hard part.... dunno if you can just get the middle part done which would be cheaper.... and pics of what it would look like on a ute as well as station wagon... maybe photoshop some pics.

Oh a weird question as I don't know much about it do you need to paint it or is it wrapped and if a paint job fades and the clear peels what happens to this over time ?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
very interesting.... but it would cost more then your thinking as painting it fitting it e.t.c. plus it looks good what your thinking with that pic of the car sorry on the number plate, but on a standard vt vx how would it look then. or if people have kits on there cars they need and idea as to how it would look on there rides before paying out that amount of cash.... I got a spare bonnet dunno how the heck I would be able to weigh it for you tho...

I like the idea of reducing the heat and then it's a style that suits your own ride which is the hard part.... dunno if you can just get the middle part done which would be cheaper.... and pics of what it would look like on a ute as well as station wagon... maybe photoshop some pics.

Oh a weird question as I don't know much about it do you need to paint it or is it wrapped and if a paint job fades and the clear peels what happens to this over time.

This will be the last time I say this mate.
It is made from 100% carbon fibre, it is not a wrap!

I can't tell you exactly how it will look.
I can only tell you what I'm thinking and provide a rough example - might have to find someone to photoshop it in a car. With thats said, the blue commodore only has a vy bodykit on it, so it's not hard to imagine what it would look like on a stock car.

Why would you pay for someone to install it??
Install it yourself with a mate. It's 4 x bolts so fitting costs needed and why would you paint carbon fibre?
The whole reason for using it it to save weight, you do not paint over the top of it, only stupid people do this.
Why would you pay a large amount of money to buy a part made of carbon fibre to lose weight, only to paint over the top of it and lose half or more of the weight reduction that was had? Seems pointless right?

The fibreglass ones will need to be painted. They are delivered ready for painting. Should only cost most shops a few hundred to be done - not much & please don't underestimate how much research I have done on this subject, I'm fully aware of all the little issues like that.
Painting is not needed on the carbon bonnets and since I really want that as opposed to fibreglass, I have not commented about painting.

Last edited:

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
The shop spent 6 months tracking down a supplier of quality carbon fibre. They took this long because they wanted to find materials that didn't fade in 6 months.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
be interested to see what these end up looking like, i'm not the biggest fan of a lot of aftermarket bonnets but never say never.

i'd think you'd need so keep the styling closest to how the HSV bodykits are styled for the best looks and we all know the VT and VX kits have different cues.

D

devilly

Okay been doing a bit of digging about this.... Sorry if I'm ticking any-one off, but from what I have found out don't you have to use the original metal skeleton of the bonnet and then add to it. so would that mean I have to send my bonnet and then the work is done to it and sent back ??? I understand you have done a lot of research but for us that haven't researched it don't know the way it's done. I'm only interested in the getting hot air out of my car not the weight factor as I don't race it. Plus another thing is the shape and test to see if it makes it more aerodynamic. Just my 2 cents of thought anyways. with mine I reckon a bonnet scoop would be cheaper and easier to do and then just spray paint it.