Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ADR Compliant Carbon Fibre Bonnet (group buy).

Would you pay $2200 for vented Carbon Fibre VT, VX, VU Bonnet reduced engine bay temp & 10kg weight?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • I wish I had one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Not interested

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hi All,

I've found a company that can make ADR Compliant carbon fibre bonnets - Blits Bodykits is the company (type that into google).

*I'm trying to gauge peoples interest in an ADR compliant vented bonnet made out of real carbon fibre for the VT, VX & VU Commodores.

The vents will help underbonnet temps, which is handy for supercharged or turbocharged cars & it should weigh about 10kg vs what the standard Commodore bonnet weighs.
I'm led to believe the standard bonnet is 27kg, if anyone can confirm that would be appreciated?

*If it is a 17kg weight saving, that will help with the vehicle's weight distribution and 17kg loss from a single part is a huge reduction.

The catch is, the cost will be about $2200ea. But they need at least 6 people with a $1050 deposit are needed before they make the Carbon Fibre mould. I need 5 other people who want this as well.

The final design is still yet to be agreed upon, but its open to ideas.
I will post up some images soon.

Get in touch if your are genuinly interested in losing weight over the front of your car or reducing engine bay temps.

* This is targeted more for people who hill climb/track/drag/drift their cars and who want to lose vehicle weight and reduce underbonnet temps, or improve their quartermile times. Obviously anyone who "actually" wants one should get in touch.

Yes, I do realise this will mosy likely never happen, but I need to try.

No, I will not be taking your money - if enough people are interested, all the money goes through the shop, just like purchasing it yourself.

Please don't comment if you are not interested, don't waste either of our time.

Mods, if this is not okay sorry, please delete and let me know.

Thanks,
Glenn.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I can move this to the VT-VX section if you like?

It's an interesting idea. Any weight saved that is higher than the centre of gravity point has greater affect because of the pendulum effect of weight.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Done :)

D

devilly

need pics of what your thinking, I'm all open to anything that can reduce the heat of the engine bay area it gets so hot under there. is this idea for use on the roads or is it a defect. I know the Monaro scoop is really pricey if you can find one.

to be honest $2,200 is more then the market value of these cars now, I'm thinking wait until its 30 years old then the market price may go up on them and make It worth the $2,200 to get it done. heck I see vts for sale between $500 - $2000 for a wh statesman.

plus I'm also thinking of if your meaning the whole bonnet done in carbon fibre wont that be dangerous as if in an accident as it would split and cause more problems or injuries then what we have now it folds and bends itself.

food for thought and giving $1050 to a stranger that doesn't even have his location up is like asking for $10,500 from a rich person. just my two cents show me what your thinking and go from there.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah ,would probably be interested depending on design and whether it'd fit over supercharger. My standard bonnet touches in a few places ( well the insulation does) .
Had been thinking of the later vz monaro bonnet but maybe adding the vents off a vf ii towards the back corners. But I understand the later monaro bonnet possibly has even more clearance issues, but I'd modify to clear (hopefully
Considering a genuine vz monaro bonnet costs 1200 to 1500 , 2200 for one that has added vents is lighter , clears all mechanical items , is adr compliant and if wanted just clear coat for genuine carbon look.
As you said probably won't get enough interest or agreement on design .

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
need pics of what your thinking, I'm all open to anything that can reduce the heat of the engine bay area it gets so hot under there. is this idea for use on the roads or is it a defect. I know the Monaro scoop is really pricey if you can find one.

to be honest $2,200 is more then the market value of these cars now, I'm thinking wait until its 30 years old then the market price may go up on them and make It worth the $2,200 to get it done. heck I see vts for sale between $500 - $2000 for a wh statesman.

plus I'm also thinking of if your meaning the whole bonnet done in carbon fibre wont that be dangerous as if in an accident as it would split and cause more problems or injuries then what we have now it folds and bends itself.

food for thought and giving $1050 to a stranger that doesn't even have his location up is like asking for $10,500 from a rich person. just my two cents show me what your thinking and go from there.

You need to forget about market value when you get serious about modifying a car or when you're racing it.

The VT Commodore will not go up in price.
Sure a mint condition one with little k's might, but even then....it wont be much.
You need to remember "This was the biggest selling Commodore model of all time, with a staggering 303,895 built over almost three years".
Plus the VX is the same car, just with different headlights, a little less weight and a corrected rear end over the VT.

It's better if the cars are cheaper now.
It means there's more chance someone might be willing to pay $500 - $1,000 for a car, if they spend a bit more on it they could be racing for less than $10,000 (less if you took your time and bought second hand parts) - it's the cheapest way to speed legally!

• Many supercars come out with 100% Carbon Fibre Bonnets - It's been done before.
  • I'll say it again mate, ADR Compliant means 100% road legal (certification provided by the manufacturer, signed off by an engineer).
  • It wont be dangerous, they design it to fold in certain places if impacted - this design means it doesn't shatter.
  • I'm not looking to take anyone's money, the shop would be handling that.
Go on their website and look up the VF Camaro style bonnet - this is the design I was thinking they could make (refer to their website - Blits Bonnets) but adapted for the VT Commodore.

The designs are smooth underneath - they are an exact outline of what you see on the outside of the bonnet (like pressed sheetmetal, no bracing or ridges on the underside of the bonnet).
^^This gives a fair bit more clearance and with the raised section of the VF Camaro style bonnet, it would have more clearance as well.