Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advance / retard timing

traindriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Sedan 3.3 Injected
From another thread there is discussion on advancing and retarding the timing simply by turning the dizzy.

When I am standing on the drivers side of my VK looking at the dizzy, which way is advancing??

If I am running BP Ultimate (98) what is the best setting for the VK EFI?

What am I listening for when I turn the dizzy?

Also, the sticker says 12 deg. What is it 12 deg from??

If I start mucking around with the timing, how do I get it back to 12 deg if I stuff it up??:unsure:

Cheers
AndrewOfNZ

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I don't know exactly how to do it but I do know if you are doing it by ear, its a matter of playing with it and taking it for a test drive and listening for detonation (bad)

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Need timing light, degrees shown on plate hanging over harmonic balancer.

traindriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Sedan 3.3 Injected
slundy said:
Need timing light, degrees shown on plate hanging over harmonic balancer.

Ahh - makes sense now.:D

Thought thats what it was about.

So is 14 deg in advance of 12 deg or is it backwards and 10 deg is in advance?

Thanks

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Advance = +degrees in timing.

Retard = -degrees in timing.

I dont know in what direction to turn the dizzy (clockwise or anticlockwise) to advance or retard. Best to consult a gregories manual or someone who knows holden 6's. (never had anything to do with themself myself.) For you I would only go another 2-4 degrees of advance, anymore (if the engine is un-modified) and she may not be too happy.

Good luck with it,
Steve.

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
hehehe. if u are doing a hory job of the timing, i managed by listening to the engine while i turned the dizzy each way, then pulled it back to roughly halfway between when it is noticably not right in each direction., worked a treat.

82VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore 202
try getting a timing light
when go to do the change check the timing and right it down before you change it.

the harmonic balancers like to splip on them. so even if it is right at 12deg. it may read higher or lower if the balancer is slipped. so don't just put it back to 12 if it goes bad

don't loosen the dizzy right up, leave a little grab because you only need to move it a little.

advance it and to test lug it up a hill and see if it pings, or floor it on the highway at 80, or take off hard from a stand still. if it pings go back in icrements of 1 deg. until it stops.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
ok firstly, from where you are standing, if you turn the dizzy anti-clockwise that will advance the timing, obviously the other way is retarding.

now the 12 degrees, im not sure where you get this from ?

best way to tune your car without a timing light or a dyno is to advance it (only move the dizzy a few mm's at a time, then take it for a test drive, as stated above, stick it in top gear at 60km's and put the foot to the floor, let it accelerate out a bit and see if it pings, if it does back it off a bit and re-test, repeat till it stops pinging ..... if it doesn't then advance it till it pings then do as above to stop it pinging ....

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Timing light
White out - the liquad, yes to make marks.

Idle and mixer screw if you have those.

Screw driver to check movement of number 1 pistion by removing spark plugs.

When u buy the light, it will have a mnaual on how to use it, best getting a maunal for your car to look at timing details.

I'm not an EFI person, without it i could help, but with it...

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Quailty of your timing light also matters, the more expensive the better understanding you will have on how it works..

I went cheap only cause i knew what i was doing at the time. Plus side is if u know a mechanic or more as you can always ask Questions and get them to always help out if sh*t hits the fan ..