Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advancing the timing on my vp v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais 5.0ltr
Hey I have a vp calais v8 and I want to know how 2 advance the timing. Any idea's or diagrams thanks.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
you can do it 2 ways, buy a chip off (nicefrog on ebay) and he'll do it in the memcal, or you can do it on the dizzy.

to advance the timing on the dizzy, you'll need a timing light. bridge the ALDL connector to put it into diagnostic mode (there are tuts on this in the vn/vp section). check the timing first, see what it's running at the moment. should be 10 degrees BTDC if no one has touched it. look at the timing marks under the water pump near the balancer, there are 2 tall lines and lots of shorter ones. it goes like this
14 12 10 8 6 4 2 0. 10 and 0 are the tall lines. there are more lines than this but this is all you'll need to look at. now, loosen the bolt at the bottom of the dizzy (dizzy is hidden at the back of the motor drivers side). twist the dizzy, and keep checking the timing to see where it's going. 14 degrees will give you decent power. once done, tighten up that bolt, and check timing again to make sure it hasn't moved.

here a youtube video that will help you out (thanks to luke for this) YouTube - How To Guide: Adjusting Ignition Timing