Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
That would certainly cause the problem , with mine a loose battery terminal was the issue , modern cars are quite sensitive to power supply problems .

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
Had a chat to an ex holden service tech, turns out the voltage regulation is software regulated. taking in to auto elec today to get a more detailed analysis.

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
ok update now, I've replaced the alternator, no change to it now, i have to look at replacing the ECU, and I've been told that i have to get a replacement ECU with Identical numbers on it, than take it to holden to download the security links and upload them into the new ECU. I Have come across this ebay page, LS1 300KW Mafless PCM Reflash VT VX VY VZ Computer Commodore 5 7 V8 ECU Service | eBay a guy who reprograms ECU's and removes the security features. Is this possible? Would it be possible to reprogram the faulty ECU to regulate the alternator output? Or would i Be better off doing it the first way?

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
update..... The ecu regulates the voltage, so I changed out the ecu, I have no over voltage issues but I still get the abs fault. Re scanned the computer and I'm still getting the C0550 code. What could possible cause to ecu's to have the C0550 code. I was going to try to change out the ABS computer to see if that would resolve the issue but Holden said if it were the ABS module that was faulty I would get more fault lights up on the dash even some that aren't related to the problem. So I feel like I not really getting any closer to fixing the problem. Has anyone else dealt with this issue before?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Replace your red 10 amp fuse under your dash even if its not blown.

When inspecting old fuse check for glue droplets on the blades from manufacturing.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
There is a *heap* of information here which may help you:

Electronic Brake Control Module problems please help! - LS1TECH

Also check out here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47120011/Car Tech Docs/absmanual.pdf for the service manual for your ABS unit. Note that C0550 Code = ECU malfunction according to this manual.

DTC C0550: ECU MALFUNCTION Circuit Description
This DTC identifies a malfunction within EBCM
DTC sets when an internal EBCM malfunction exists.

Diagnosis

1) Perform DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM CHECK under DIAGNOSIS & TESTING. Go to next step.
2) If any other DTCs than DTC C0550 are set, see DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE DEFINITIONS table under DIAGNOSIS & TESTING for diagnosis. If no other DTCs than DTC C0550 are set, go to next step.
3) Replace EBCM. See ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. After repairs, go to next step.
4) Using scan tool, clear DTCs. Operate vehicle. If DTC does not reset, system is okay.

Sounds like you need to beg/borrow/steal a EBCM to me.

Last edited:

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
Thanks guys for your assistance, I will try these out. I have sourced part numbers from Holden for replacement unit. Let you know how things pan out.

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
Update.......When i took the car back to the mechanic, he still said it was the ECU and the money I spent was a waste replacing it with a second hand one. Turns out he was ex Holden mechanic who just wanted me to buy a new one. Well thank god I didn't, I hunted around for a second hand abs module that is compatible. Found one, bit tricky getting out for the first time. Whacked it in and it has been in there for 2 months now and I've had no issues. Thanks to all members who helped me out along the way.

LX8 QUICKSILVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ADVENTRA LX8
Hi I have the same problem with my LX8, what did you exactly replace to fix the problem. It's driving me insane comes on when ever it feels like it and very very similar situations to yours.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I had the ABS controller fail on my Adventra recently. Sadly 2nd hand ones are rare as hens teeth. Easy (and relatively cheap) to get a normal 2wd VT-Z ABS unit however the AWD ones don't seem to be repaired so I had to fork out $700 for a new one :(. Very easy swap and go - 6 x torx head screws and 2 plugs. 10 min job + 5 min to find my torx set :p