Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
Hi Guys,

Newbie here, I bought an LX8 recently, very nice car. Just recently i have been getting an ABS fault come up, brake fault and brake bulb fault come up all at the same time, but only at night. Any Ideas on what might be the cause, wiring issues, computer issue or something else.

Thank you in advance.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Welcome, Go and get the codes scanned. Will be a much faster diagnosis process than trying to stab in the dark at the problem.

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
Had the car hooked up to the computer and the codes we were getting are C0550 an C0896. We also load tested the battery and it failed. So I replace the battery also checked the fuses and cleaned the ABS module connector with contact cleaner. Yet i am still getting the same 3 faults. Forgot to mention earlier this is an intermittent fault, sometimes I can go for a drive and nothing happens. The fault has been happening through the day too, another thing I have noticed but haven't paid attention to it, but the fault happens when iI take my foot off the brake. I will try to pay closer attention and give you an update.

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Saw on another forum a guy had the same problem, same codes. He replaced the ABS unit and that fixed it.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Welcome, Go and get the codes scanned. Will be a much faster diagnosis process than trying to stab in the dark at the problem.

Had the same problem last year with my VZ , had it scanned , no DTS , faults , the problem lay with incorrect programming of ABS module , was reprogrammed ,and all good . only wat to find out is as Sabbath says , get a scan .

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
Could also be a blown bulb or a short in the wiring for the brake lights/tail lights, headlights or fog lights.

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
Had the same problem last year with my VZ , had it scanned , no DTS , faults , the problem lay with incorrect programming of ABS module , was reprogrammed ,and all good . only wat to find out is as Sabbath says , get a scan .

Who did this for you, was it done by Holden or by a mechanic? is it cheaper to do this Vs buy a new module?

To a drive to bunnings today paying attention to see when the fault come up. This is usually a 10 - 15min drive. I had no fault driving over there, but when I left the fault come up when I started the car and then when I took my foot off the brake but only when it had been depressed for extended periods, like when standing at the lights.

Changed out the brake bulb couple of days ago with a new globe, still getting the fault. The only globe that is out is a parking lamp on the front left. Does any one have some schematics so that I could do some continuity tests on the wiring to the ABS module.

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
had a drive today making a couple of stops. Nothing happened after leaving home and my first stop. Between my first and second stop I noticed it was giving me a fault after I lifted my foot of the brake only after I had come to a complete stop. Any thoughts?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Who did this for you, was it done by Holden or by a mechanic? is it cheaper to do this Vs buy a new module?

To a drive to bunnings today paying attention to see when the fault come up. This is usually a 10 - 15min drive. I had no fault driving over there, but when I left the fault come up when I started the car and then when I took my foot off the brake but only when it had been depressed for extended periods, like when standing at the lights.

Changed out the brake bulb couple of days ago with a new globe, still getting the fault. The only globe that is out is a parking lamp on the front left. Does any one have some schematics so that I could do some continuity tests on the wiring to the ABS module.

This was done by a Holden Technician in NZ at my local dealer, on my invoice the computer scan/check was , $35-00 . not sure on labour costs , as my car was due for its 6 monthly road worthy check , a Warrant of Fitness (WOF) , in my neck of the woods , that cost is not included in the cost I gave you .

My advice is take to a Holden dealer , or a good mechanic and have run a scan . With a bit of luck it'll be same problem I had . It does happen so they tell me .

LX8Adventura

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8
Ok I believe I have found the source of the problem. The the regulator for the alternator is faulty. When I Was first measuring the voltages I didn't measure it when when the fault occurred with the engine running and not shutting it down. When I measured it I was getting anywhere from 15-20vdc.