Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra SX6 vibration issue

rb0135

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra SX6
Adventra SX6 cant go over 100kph - Excessive reverberation

Hi All.

I have an Adventra is the SX6, 190 KW engine and has done just on 70000 km.

I have two main issues at the moment, and I am looking for some info (preferrably Techline Article numbers) or anything to get my dealership to realise I do have major issues.

Here we go:
The main issue is that I cannot go over 100kph. Once I do, I get a reverberation throughout the car. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like when you run over the white lines on the side of the freeways with bumps on them and you get that brrrrrrr sound. However, the reverb I am getting is a lot more dull than tyres running over those bumps. When it occurs there is a decrease in speed, and when it is on Cruise Control, that obviously counter acts to keep the speed up. The faster you go, the reverb is still there, BUT doesn’t increase in speed or pitch (between 105 to 120kph). The only way to stop it is to back off down to 100 kph or slower. I still think the problem is there, but not loud. Also, after this, under acceleration, there seems to be a lot of acceleration vibration. It is not wheel balance has I have had that checked. It is more of, just guessing, a faulty bearing. I think it is a bearing on one of the pulleys on the engine as when the engine is idling, and you have you head under the hood, there seems to be a dry/faulty bearing noise coming from the top front of the engine, passenger side.

The other issue I have is a vibration when coasting and you apply a little acceleration. It is like a labouring vibration when you have a manual and need to change gears. The dealership tells me it is harmonics, which is a load of rubbish, as this issue only occurred after they replaced the computer (at about 50000km) to fix the actuator. They also say, it has the latest firmware for the gearbox/gear changes.

Each time I go to the Dealership with these issues, they have selective deafness, or drive around the block and say nothing is wrong.

I did a deal and have 6 year warrany on the car (it is 3.5 years now) so i am presuming the dealership is not helping because it is under warranty.

Can anyone offer assistance, ideas, etc?

Thanks for anything,
Robert

Last edited:

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
Have you swapped the wheels for another set just to test, sounds like when i had a tyre delaminate a few years back

I would start at the start, not at the end and work your way back, wheels 1st!

rb0135

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra SX6
Have you swapped the wheels for another set just to test, sounds like when i had a tyre delaminate a few years back

I would start at the start, not at the end and work your way back, wheels 1st!

No, I havent swapped them (dont have another set) but that is interesting idea and certainly will look into them.

I suspect it is something different to tyres (but could be wrong) as it feels more from the engine (as it seems to have one noisy pulley bearing).

The second issue I have with vibration with costing (like labouring) has been there a while and was there with an older set of typres.

Thanks,
Rob

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I remember reading somewhere once that there was an issue with the actual rims that they put on Adventra's. Not sure if it was an 8 or 6 only issue. But as said, try changing the wheels over completely. Surely you have a mate who has a Commodore that you can swap with