Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra Transfer Case/Front Diff problem

iwik

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra SX6
I've got a clunk in the drive train of my '05 Adventra SX6 with 160K on the clock. When the car is coasting to a stop there is a clunk in the drive train when the geabox changes down gears, also there is a lot of slack when I shift from P to D on the auto.

I've taken the car to a mechanic I trust and had it checked over. The CV's, gearbox and rear diff were all fine, however he said the issue was in either the transfer case or the front diff.

His solution was to ignore it and turn the stereo up..:spot on: because replacing the transfer case was going to be a few grand, and to work on the front diff you need to remove the engine !!!

Has anyone else had a similar issue? What have you done about it?

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Hi There.......Whats the verdict. I have an 06 V6 Adventra, and was curious of the outcome of yours.
Cheers

danoze

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra CX6 VZ, 2005
I have had a similar issue for the last 3 years. I have taken it back to a holden dealer on a number of times and although they have found many things to replace/fix, they have never found this problem..... until hopefully now. I drove the car one morning and it started making a large clunking sound from the front of the car. It got towed and now they are telling me it is the transcase. Hopefully this will be covered under my extended waranty.
For the last 3 years I kept saying to the holden service centre, I hope the car would just pack up so they could finally find this issue (the clunking when coming to a stop). Car has only done 90K km.

Unfortunataly I love the car, the size, features etc and don't want to sell. It's just with all the problems it has had (mostly under waranty) I'm finding it hard to keep it.

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
my cx8 also does this shifting down from 4th to third.

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Update.......
Well over the xmas period i took Le Wag in for the recommended Gearbox/ front and rear diff and transfer case and Power steering oil drain and change........
Fellow Adevntra Owners.
Do you know the 5l40E Gearbox is BMW ( thats where I bought my Gearbox service kit from as Genuine Holden want twice the price for it) and the Rear Diff is Ford? and the Transfer case is made by some little company California??

cross_8_workhorse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Crewman Cross 8
Hi, Do you know what the specs of the oil used in the transfer case was?
Update.......
Well over the xmas period i took Le Wag in for the recommended Gearbox/ front and rear diff and transfer case and Power steering oil drain and change........
Fellow Adevntra Owners.
Do you know the 5l40E Gearbox is BMW ( thats where I bought my Gearbox service kit from as Genuine Holden want twice the price for it) and the Rear Diff is Ford? and the Transfer case is made by some little company California??

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I bought the oil from Coventrys in WA. $20 for 250 ml. Only a piddle needed in the transfer case, but the old stuff was black as the proverbial. The spec is smelly - dunno the SAE rating and viscosity etc, not worth finding out really.

Tim_in_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 SX6 Adventra
Hi there, the Transfer case oil is the only Genuine product that one has to use. Its tricky to get it in the transfer case and it only takes a bout a teaspoon in the end.

bradmax2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
SX6 2005 Vz Adventra
Did this solve the problem? My adventra is doing a similar thing.... though once warmed up it is not clunking at all....

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
Hi,

My adventra is doing the same thing! any news