Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra V8 manual conversion

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Hey all,

Looking at potentially getting an Adventra v8. Looks like it comes with a 4 speed auto.

How complicated would it be to convert the car from an auto to a manual? Or even going from a 4sp auto to a 5sp/6sp auto?

I understand this would be a big job, just curious to see what technical limitations or complications that would arise.

Thanks

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey all,

Looking at potentially getting an Adventra v8. Looks like it comes with a 4 speed auto.

How complicated would it be to convert the car from an auto to a manual? Or even going from a 4sp auto to a 5sp/6sp auto?

I understand this would be a big job, just curious to see what technical limitations or complications that would arise.

Thanks
Its not an easy job.
Member AdventraLX8 did the conversion,back in 2016, among other people.
It wasn't cheap or easy.
Here is the link. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/adventra-lx8-manual-conversion.250978/

Like to hear if your going to do the conversion. Please keep us posted.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Thanks! If I do get an Adventra it'll be in the new year, but you've given me a lot to look into!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d be looking at a 6L-80/90e 6speed auto conversion.
There is a patch harness and data converter available. (~$800)

Been looking at the transfer case on the 4L-60E and is seems a close match to the 6L-80E. Also there are US transfer cases for the 6L-80E.

Maybe an adaptor plate? The intermediate drive shaft would need to be lengthened and the tail shaft custom made.

There’s a thread already on this for a VY SS Crewman.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Why, because I’m looking to buy a Cross 8 Crewman and the 6L-80E or 90E would be good fun to do as an install.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have found some cool stuff on the 8L80E. Seems to be a popular one to use in 4wd applications. Same external dimensions as a 6L80E, only lighter!

Would imagine the tail housing bolt pattern to be different or require a different GM transfer case.

Also finding conflicting info as to the bolt pattern for the tailhousing on 4L60E v 6L60E.

If the same, then should be possible to use the transfer case off the Adventura/Cross8 on a 6L60E.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Have found some cool stuff on the 8L80E
Before l put my 6 speed in, way before, when researching it, found on the USA forums that the 8l45, 50, 80 & 90 would hunt for gears ( cruising along at say 100 kpm & the trans would shift down then back up, down back up).

Gm couldn't fix it. Some tuners could, lots couldn't.

At the time the trans was an extra $1200.
This is why l used the 6l50.

If doing the 6l80 or 90 remember dont use the later (vf) transmission, or it wont work.

Talk to Jim Miller at Zero Gravity. Zero Gravity rebuild transmissions for race applications.
Jim is on the help desk at Zero Gravity & also the help desk at PCS Powertrain Control Solutions. They are the company that make the controler & harness. (So he knows what he is doing).
His email address [email protected]
Call +1 (602) 920-8926.
Listing for the TCU & wiring harness. You will need both. http://www.zerogravityperformance.c...ic-transmission-controller-6l80e-6l90e-6l50e/

Without his help, l wouldn't have been able to do it.

True Blue Motor Sport does the 4D conversions in the USA. Here is the link. http://www.tbmsport.com/6l80gm6spdinformation.html

I hope this is of some help.