Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Anybody still running one of these dinosaurs? Do they have a whine or different noise to the normal 2wd wagon? Ours has had new diff bearings and both rear wheel bearings replaced but still has a noticeable whine. Thinking only thing left is transfer case or mebe front diff but noise appears to come from centre or the back of the car. Anybody replaced transfer case bearings?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Have you changed tyres lately. ? My Cross6 howls with one set of tyres, and swapped with another set is quiet.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
I will try changing tyres but sounds more like a gear whine, the tone changes with power on to power off.
What tyres was yours fitted with when it howled?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Chinese Pace 225/55/17 which I use for trips. Surprisingly good but noisy.
Bridgestone 225/50/17 RE001 around town.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Ok thanks for that, ours are Toyo's on standard mags.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Probably not this but it's an easy check, is there a noticeable difference in wear on the tires front to back? If they're slightly different rolling diameters from wear or you have a different sized tyre front to back it can cause issues.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Nup, tyres goon nick and even wear. I would have thought the viscus coupling would take up any slack in that area? I changed the oil in the transfer case and old oil was clean. The whine seems to be getting louder. I have yet to swap with another set of wheels to see if that helps but as I said the tone changes from throttle on to throttle off, if it was tyres the tone would only change with speed, so I'm pretty sure that won't change anything.

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Not yet, not changed tyres though. Have just about given up and will keep driving to see if it gets worse. I still haven't heard if Adventra's have a whine compared to 2 wheel drive wagon. The transfer case has what looks like straight cuts gears and if so would have a whine anyway?