Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice and Help with mods

Eblostdiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 (s1) 6 spd manual
Hey guys,
I've got a series 1 2010 sv6, in a manual and I'm looking at getting these mods done:

• Calais boot lip spoiler
  • Pontiac G8 bonnet
  • 20" or 22" rims and wheels
  • Colour change on the inside lights (EG Dash, head unit)
  • Black LED tail lights
  • Neons under the back passengers seats, driver and passenger side and in boot
  • New front bumper cause someone reversed into me.
  • Exhaust system (one that sounds real mean, somewhat like a v8 and that's legal!)
  • Lowered

This one not so much:
  • SCISSOR LIFT DOOR CONVERSION (I'm more after where and how much it would cost?)

QUESTIONS I HAVE!
  • Am I better to go for fibreglass or steel with the bonnet? For painting, wear and tear etc?
  • I'm looking for something black and nothing with thin spokes for rims...WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?
  • Where can I find a new front bumper? I'm more interested in genuine parts for the series 1!
  • Does anyone in Victoria suggest anywhere for painting that's really good on service and $$$
  • Springs, where and how much to get them fitted? Around about costs.
  • What exhaust system am I better off getting or what mods to get it sound decent and somewhat like a V8, remember guys...LEGAL!

Any help is appreciated :)

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
The exhaust i would only change the mid section, rear mufflers and cat assembly. After that you will go backwards in power and sound IMO.

Springs are relatively cheap, looking at around 700 installed give or take a bit depends on where you get it done.

Fibreglass bonnets are illegal i think unless it came from factory with it (if someone knows for sure please correct me) so i would go steel. paint will look better as its easier to match to your car. I don't think you can use the Pontiac with out changing a few other things, such as your next question the bumper and the bonnet latch.

Front bumper, i would go to a wrecker or dismantler, plenty around Melbourne im sure you will find something

wheels plenty around check out forum sponsor "the wheel deal" they have heaps. located in Melbourne also i think

Neons, talk to ASR he is in Melbourne this week, he might be able to fit you in "also a forum sponsor"

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Hey guys,
I've got a series 1 2010 sv6, in a manual and I'm looking at getting these mods done:

• Calais boot lip spoiler
  • Pontiac G8 bonnet
  • 20" or 22" rims and wheels
  • Colour change on the inside lights (EG Dash, head unit)
  • Black LED tail lights
  • Neons under the back passengers seats, driver and passenger side and in boot
  • New front bumper cause someone reversed into me.
  • Exhaust system (one that sounds real mean, somewhat like a v8 and that's legal!)
  • Lowered

This one not so much:
  • SCISSOR LIFT DOOR CONVERSION (I'm more after where and how much it would cost?)

QUESTIONS I HAVE!
  • Am I better to go for fibreglass or steel with the bonnet? For painting, wear and tear etc?
  • I'm looking for something black and nothing with thin spokes for rims...WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?
  • Where can I find a new front bumper? I'm more interested in genuine parts for the series 1!
  • Does anyone in Victoria suggest anywhere for painting that's really good on service and $$$
  • Springs, where and how much to get them fitted? Around about costs.
  • What exhaust system am I better off getting or what mods to get it sound decent and somewhat like a V8, remember guys...LEGAL!

Any help is appreciated :)

G8 bonnet on a standard bumper? that's not going to be easy

you can find some king springs on ebay for roughly $270 if you want a cheap option and if you're handy with a spanner fit them yourself.

SV6 will almost certainly end up with a drone and won't sound like a V8

Felix_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais 08
G8 bonnet on a standard bumper? that's not going to be easy

you can find some king springs on ebay for roughly $270 if you want a cheap option and if you're handy with a spanner fit them yourself.

SV6 will almost certainly end up with a drone and won't sound like a V8

How hard is it to fit the springs in my self, ? heard its a bit of a pain and will take at least a good afternoon of work,.. is there a how to doit somewhere , couldn't find on ?! :) cheers

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
How hard is it to fit the springs in my self, ? heard its a bit of a pain and will take at least a good afternoon of work,.. is there a how to doit somewhere , couldn't find on ?! :) cheers

there's a thread with someone who posts a very good guide with pictures, about 4 hours job and just be sure to have all the spanners, sockets and a spring compressor (<$50) handy

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I can't comment on the lighting or cosmetic mods sorry. As has been stated by previous posters you will not get it to sound like an 8. However you can get them to sound pleasing enough...particularly from in the cab. There are numerous examples of V6 exhausts on you tube both Commodore and Camaro. Have a listen to them and try and see if they provide a description and base your decision on those. Just remember what they sound like on the outside and the acoustic affects in the cab are two different ball games and I can tell you from experience it is difficult to get a balance between a reasonable note on the outside and a non-drone environment on the inside. If your car is auto it is even more difficult as the resonance (drone) in cab tended to be (in my case) at low rpm when cruising ie in 5th or 6th gear at 60 or 80 km/h respectively.

So what I would do if I was to start again would be to buy a decent set of rear mufflers and I'd go Redback or Berkley (v8's not V6s), have a set of hot dogs put in after the mid-mufflers (lowers tone) and then a set of extractors and maybe cats. Hope this helps.