Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice needed about building a sub box!

AdamJaffrey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
I am planning to build a sub box for my Alpine SWS-3049. The specifications sheet recommends the sub in a sealed box of 123 litres (yes, I know this is quite large).

To my calculations (and to fit in my boot), the following dimensions work out at 123 litres:
Height = 32cm
Width = 90cm
Depth1 (top) = 36.708cm
Depth2 (bottom) = 42.708cm

Note that this is a rectangular box with a slanted front.

I want to place the sub in the centre on the angled front, but this leaves a lot of empty space either side of it. To clarify, the box is a lot wider than it is deep.

Will this effect the sound quality, or will it be okay? Or would it be better to build a box of more square-like dimensions?

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
I am planning to build a sub box for my Alpine SWS-3049. The specifications sheet recommends the sub in a sealed box of 123 litres (yes, I know this is quite large).

To my calculations (and to fit in my boot), the following dimensions work out at 123 litres:
Height = 32cm
Width = 90cm
Depth1 (top) = 36.708cm
Depth2 (bottom) = 42.708cm

Note that this is a rectangular box with a slanted front.

I want to place the sub in the centre on the angled front, but this leaves a lot of empty space either side of it. To clarify, the box is a lot wider than it is deep.

Will this effect the sound quality, or will it be okay? Or would it be better to build a box of more square-like dimensions?
Hi hows it going i think the key word here is (recommends)

AdamJaffrey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
So do you think that size box is too big?

The question still remains, does it matter where on the box that the sub is mounted? I'd still like to have it 90cm wide because it will fit nicely in my boot at that size. Can I put the sub in the middle of the long side and still get good sound quality?

troykinsvt

yes i like fibreglassing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
i think it depends on how many watts the sub is i have two 12" 800w subs in an 80cm long by 40 wide at the base 30 wide at the top built myself and i have a port hole sounds pretty decent , i mean ive heard better but ive got no complaints

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
So do you think that size box is too big?

The question still remains, does it matter where on the box that the sub is mounted? I'd still like to have it 90cm wide because it will fit nicely in my boot at that size. Can I put the sub in the middle of the long side and still get good sound quality?
If it was me i would be building a box that best suits and fits in my boot. As far as mounting the sub its self i would have it in the centre of the front side of the box. I dont think its really going to matter i had a car once with the sub just mounted on a sheet of MDF and fixed to the back seat and no box surrounding it at all and i must say it was pretty good.:dance:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
...Will this effect the sound quality, or will it be okay? Or would it be better to build a box of more square-like dimensions?
No, it won't effect the sound quality., it will be fine. The box is mainly there to provide air suspension for the speaker when the cone moves so the shape does not matter. Some people say having a cube box is bad due to reflected sound waves in the box but I can't see how that would effect the sound waves outside the box. Anyway, it's not relevant to your box anyway.

I'd look up that sub on other forums and see if people recommend a smaller enclosure though. That volume is usually what 'free-air' subs require.

AdamJaffrey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
No, it won't effect the sound quality., it will be fine. The box is mainly there to provide air suspension for the speaker when the cone moves so the shape does not matter.

Awesome advice, thanks for the help!

I'd look up that sub on other forums and see if people recommend a smaller enclosure though. That volume is usually what 'free-air' subs require.

Yep, I'll take a look around and see what others say since 123 litres is a very large box.