Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice needed on heads/cam/converter for LS1

CrazyBlownV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Monaro 5.7L
I have acquired an 02 Monaro with a lot of kms, so I will be rebuilding the whole driveline. I have owned hot LS1 cars with manual trans before, but a bit new to the whole auto thing.

I am doing a complete teardown and rebuild of the engine, but would like a second opinion on the setup I have in mind. This is not going to be cheap, so I don't want to have to do things twice.

I am looking for something I can use every day, but can take to the track on occasion. I have owned a cammed LS1 before, so I kinda know what I am in for. The aim is to make around 300rwkw and run in the low 11s, but something that can be used on a daily basis in traffic.

- LS1 stock stroke with original 4L60E trans (rebuilt with ARP rod & head bolts, new bearings/gaskets, new flat top pistons, LS7 lifters etc)
- GM Motorsport Torque Master II cam (227/239 @50, .613/.623 lift, 114LSA)
- Higgins CNC ported 241 cast heads with dual springs + 1.7:1 roller rockers
- X-force 1.75" headers with dual 2.5" exhaust (try to keep the noise down a bit for a daily)
- OTR intake + 90mm throttlebody
- Custom tuned (obviously, but not sure who as yet)
- Rebuilt diff with 3.45:1 ratio (again, daily driver, so keep revs down for some sort of fuel economy)

What sort of converter would be recommended on this setup for predominantly a street car? Could I get away with a 2800rpm, or should I be going 3200+?

I have owned a VX SS before with 230deg cam with M6 trans which made 310rwkw and ran 11.6, but the whole auto thing is totally new to me.

Any other suggestions would be great.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
For that sort of power and times consider fitting a 6L with cam, histall, auto mods, diff gears, exhaust and tune. That'll get you running the times you want in a more street friendly combo for similar money.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
The GM Torque Master is a fairly healthy cam, I have a bit smaller cam in mine and I would stay with a 3200, which is what is in mine, however it is in a 6L80e.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
just buy an LT1 and a 4l80 and be done with it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Or buy an LS3 crate if the LT1 is out of your price range. All the **** you've mentioned if done right has hidden costs and will end up being expensive like to do a set of higgens heads all done ready to bolt on is more then the price they advertise.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Hi mate sorry I know it’s not what you asked but with your diff don’t bother messing around rebuilding the stock lsd unit just go straight for a true trac it’s far far superior unit

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
For the $$ rebuilding the LS1 go a stroker kit or a LS3 crate. Baby 2500 stall on small cam will be over 300rwkw easy.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
For what you want start with 6 litre or bigger....high 11's would be possible & reasonable economy with street manners as can get away with smaller convertor/taller gears & let extra torque do the work.

Lots of 6 litres nudging 300rwkw with small cam + bolt ons,smallish sized stally with shorter gears will keep it fun & drivable daily.

Low 11's you're looking at big budget street pig that will chew fuel,break things & annoying to daily especially if ls1...easier to slap a blower on ls1 with basic mods tbh.

Work out your budget,do your homework then go have a chat to Castle Hill(CHE) or Russo Performance or depending on your area whoever does good work with good reputation.

Shiftright & Craigs Transmissions still mess around with 4l60e most don't want the headache for high hp applications.

Either way won't be cheap or done quickly.Atleast if start 6l or ls3 can keep driving your car as is while accumulating parts

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
3500k stall at least