Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on buying a VS Statesman

premium

P-Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Berlina, 1985 VK SL
Hey guys

I'm turfing the VL soon, because I ruined it. I'm thinking of getting something a little more comfortable.
Can someone tell me how the V6 VS Statesman's go?
What's the power like?
What's the economy like?
Any tips on what to look for when buying one?
and finally, How much better are the supercharged V6s compared to the N/A V6?

Thanks a lot guys.
Premium.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
Hey guys

I'm turfing the VL soon, because I ruined it. I'm thinking of getting something a little more comfortable.
Can someone tell me how the V6 VS Statesman's go?
like a v6 commodore,but slightly slower due to the extra weight,not that it would be heaps noticeable but still.
i have a v6 vy which has an ecotec like the vs. it is not bad on the highway etc, it has enough power for overtaking,beating traffic if you had to jump into another lane for whatever reason but they aren't a racing car by any means. i also towed my vr ss home with it and it seemed fine pulling it along the freeway and up massive hills etc so they do have some power,

What's the power like?
being an ecotec,around the 150kw mark,i think it was 147kw or something. They're no power house but they're arnt a complete slug either
What's the economy like?
Id say you get around 12L per 100km roughly around town driving normally
Any tips on what to look for when buying one?
the usual,drives fine,gears change properly,rear main seal leak,general oil and water leaks,check the rear IRS frame that it isnt cracked if you can etc
never having one im not sure but id imagine they would go alot quicker than a standard 6 but someone else may be able to answer it,with the sc6 you can do pulley upgrades to get more boost etc
Thanks a lot guys.
Premium.

answered above in the quote box

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Hey guys

Thanks a lot guys.
Premium.

They go heaps harder than the NA 6. Even in stock form they are much more responsive and have a really good spread of torque through the rev range.

dan92l

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Monaro CV8-R, 2015 Subaru Impreza S
Me Myself I have a V6 VS Statesman as for power they go pretty good for a v6 of its age I Have owned a VS Acclaim Also i didn't notice any difference in power between the commodore and the statesman that was me anyway i would think it would be very little difference as for the supercharged one i wouldn't really know i because i have never driven one, the economy is pretty good mine sits about 13L/100kms but depends how u drive it even less on a long trip, they are quite comfortable inside and they are nice to drive and they don't look too bad from the outside ether. and you pick one up in quite good condition quite Cheap Now :)

Here is a Photo Of My Statesman

dan92l

fallen1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS Statesman
hey mate. i own a super charged statesman and they are awesome... great power all the way through. they do drink a fair bit though i have to put in 60 bucks every Thursday. I must say though do not get a series 3 vs statesman. Yhey have a special steering pump which makes reversing and steering in general easier however it stops u from putting extractors on it because it gets in the way. Also the IRS on them is a c^nt if you wanna lower it. I was quoted $1200 for a 4 point camber kit and lowering.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
hey mate. i own a super charged statesman and they are awesome... great power all the way through. they do drink a fair bit though i have to put in 60 bucks every Thursday. I must say though do not get a series 3 vs statesman. Yhey have a special steering pump which makes reversing and steering in general easier however it stops u from putting extractors on it because it gets in the way. Also the IRS on them is a c^nt if you wanna lower it. I was quoted $1200 for a 4 point camber kit and lowering.

Series 2 have the steering rack too. Lowering cost me $800 for camber kit, labour, king springs, shortened shocks, alignment.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
vq (i think series 2) onwards got the variable steering rack,steering is firm at high speeds and light at low/parking speeds

premium

P-Plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VL Berlina, 1985 VK SL
Thanks a lot everyone, You've helped me make up my mind about my next car. Once I've got the money (in about 3 or 4 months) I think I'll go for a Supercharged VS Stato or Caprice :D

stateside

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vs statesman
hey mate went thru this research not long ago myself and ended up buying a series 3 ITS AWESOME!!! The drink like a fish at octoberfest but if you've got your heart set on one you wont regret it i learnt in a stock vx and then straight into the stato the power isnt much different but you will feel it