Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on changing Fuel Filter on VZ Storm Crewman

Whstatesman92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman Series II GenIII V8
Hey all,

The mrs has just bought a VZ Storm Crewman (V6) which is overdue for a service, I've heard the fuel filters can be a pig to change, has anyone got any advice on making the job easier and the location of the filter? I don't have a pit or hoist unfortunately but do have ramps. Last commodore I changed the fuel filter on was my WH statesman which was painful due to it's position behind the fuel tank and you needed a special tool to get the fuel lines out.

Is there any of these shenanigans with these VZ's?

Thanks in advance! :surprise::boxing:

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Hey bud, I find the fuel filters on commy,s to be one of the easiest around to change. Never had any problem breaking the clips, usually just depressurise, out with the old in with the new. What I did work out if you have the arse too high up, its painfull reaching up. I find just pushing the clip back on towards the filter, squeeze the tabs and rotate the filter whilst pulling the fuel line lightly off the filter works everytime,
Cheers mate
Sorry mate for the bum steer, :doh:been a long day, pretty sure the filters on the Crewman are an MRA in tank job

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i done our vz a couple of months ago, i just wiggled the fuel line of while squeezing the ends with my fingers,i just use ramps, gave me plenty of room under the car and it should be in front of the diff and don t forget to depressurise the system and i just used the old cable tie support , should be new cable tie in the box with the filter

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
I have never done it, but I'm sure its a remove tray job!!! fuel pump and sender are not accessible without tray/tub removal, and I think fuel filter is hiding amongst all the hidden mess..... not 100% sure..... google image crewman fuel tank..... lucky for me, it'd all just been done, filter, pump, and sender, before I bought my vzss crewman..

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
tried to embed the youtub vid can t get to work

Whstatesman92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman Series II GenIII V8
Hey bud, I find the fuel filters on commy,s to be one of the easiest around to change. Never had any problem breaking the clips, usually just depressurise, out with the old in with the new. What I did work out if you have the arse too high up, its painfull reaching up. I find just pushing the clip back on towards the filter, squeeze the tabs and rotate the filter whilst pulling the fuel line lightly off the filter works everytime,
Cheers mate
Sorry mate for the bum steer, :doh:been a long day, pretty sure the filters on the Crewman are an MRA in tank job

"MRA in tank job" meaning that you can't get to it to install a new filter without removing the tub/tank or?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Very informative video, but hope I don't have to do it whilst I'm the owner. However, that was fuel sender, does that stuff around include filter ?
I know that my Monaro is an in-tank filter that Holden changed, and managed to make the car smell of petrol for days after, probably didn't de-pressurise the fuel lines and sprayed it everwhere.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Very informative video, but hope I don't have to do it whilst I'm the owner. However, that was fuel sender, does that stuff around include filter ?
I know that my Monaro is an in-tank filter that Holden changed, and managed to make the car smell of petrol for days after, probably didn't de-pressurise the fuel lines and sprayed it everwhere.

thats what they are saying on the net... you got to pull half the car apart to change the filter

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I can 100% confirm that the fuel filter on the crewmans and 1 Tonners are in the tank.
They are part of the fuel pump module, the module assembly needs to be dismantled to replace the fuel filter which is basically the bottom of the assembly.
The 1 Tonners are piss easy to do as you just unbolt the tray, slide it backwards to access the module from the top of the tank. I did my own and several others this way.
Apparently to remove the fuel tank from the crewman is an absolute bitch of a job, and a lot of ####ing around.
I have been told by a couple of crewman owners that the easiest way to do the filter is to just remove the tub off the chassis, and access it from the top.
I cannot confirm it to be easier this way or not as I haven't actually done a fuel filter on a crewman

# Just make sure you are careful with the o-rings when re-assembling the module. If you pinch them, don't seat them properly (so to speak) you will have fuel pressure issues and your car will run like ****