Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on Clear Coat Peeling

AbsoluteMaurice

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSZ VZ Ute
Hi, hoping someone can kindly offer some guidance on an issue i have with the paint on a plastic part.

its on my VZ SSZ ute and it's the plastic corner piece on the rear of the roof (see photo). it looks like the clear coat is starting to peel off in the corners although I'm not entirely sure.

Hoping for some guidance as to what the issue is and what options i have to fix it.

thanks very much.

Mark

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 211

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s the clear coat and if you get onto it now, and don’t want a perfect job, that can be sanded back and recoated with clear without needing the colour.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If that’s going then the rest won’t be car behind it.
Have you been cleaning and polishing lightly with a good polish regularly and kept the vehicle under cover?

AbsoluteMaurice

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSZ VZ Ute
If that’s going then the rest won’t be car behind it.
Have you been cleaning and polishing lightly with a good polish regularly and kept the vehicle under cover?
hi Gossie,
i only jut bought the ute about 2 months ago and from what i could tell the previous owner had looked after it really well. Going forward it is parked under cover.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If it was me, I would blow it with compressed air and remove as much clear as possible. Then make sure no more flaky edges exist. Scotch the rest of the clear on the panel, and then clear in a can that whole panel.

Then in 5 years time when something more major needs a repaint, sand that panel and do it properly then.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
As Deuce said,sand the area with a scotch brite pad to remove the flakes and scuff up the area around it and spray some clear coat over the top. Can be bought in a rattle can if you dont have the gear. Other wise get a pro on to it before it gets any worse.

georgieboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore ve ssv
Hi, hoping someone can kindly offer some guidance on an issue i have with the paint on a plastic part.

its on my VZ SSZ ute and it's the plastic corner piece on the rear of the roof (see photo). it looks like the clear coat is starting to peel off in the corners although I'm not entirely sure.

Hoping for some guidance as to what the issue is and what options i have to fix it.

thanks very much.

Mark
hello

its pretty common holden never put enough clear coat on certain panels to save on cost.
i got mine done by a local sydney panel beater , he had to rub it back flat until all clear was removed
then matched the colour and clear coated it .

all good now

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
They are a pain in the bum, once the clear starts to go, I would just leave it till you have the money to do it right, those clear acrylic spray cans are useless unless they have the button at the bottom of the can to activate the hardener, the only way to do it right is do the whole section or the patch will stand out, if you use those clear without the hardener then after awhile it will fade or even peel off.
Like was said you can use a scotch pad or wet and dry and smooth it off and if your keen lightly rub the whole section and get a can of sprayMax clear with hardener and do the whole section or you will have a join line.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
bonnet and roof commonly do this, save up and get it done in a booth. not a very expensive job really.