Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on Fire damage and Some other questions

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Hey all

I've got a Vr v6 auto and last night it decided to throw an oil line off the auto. It then of course caught fire and if I didn't have a fire extinguisher...yeah you get the picture.

Most of the engine bay was unharmed but on the drivers side bank of injectors the wiring is badly burnt...hasn't totally destroyed it but its through to the metal in some places. The wiring for the nitrous system is also pretty badly charred.

I can't get pictures up at the moment but will try to do so asap. I realise that without seeing the damage you can't give accurate advice.

I haven't got much experience with the wiring side of things, so my question is how would I go about fixing the wiring damage on the injectors?? Get another loom from the wreckers and cut and shut? or?? Dad can help me with the actual re-wiring but he's a carby man so not sure about the wiring with the injectors and all and if it needs replacing.

Also another question, I've stripped the car down pretty drastically tonight and finally got around to checking the knock sensor out which has come up on the fault codes several times.

There was actually no connection hooked up to the sensor, and there is no spare plug anywhere nearby, the closest thing I could find was one solitary wire hanging out of the loom near the sensor. Advice?

Apologies if anything is unclear it's a bit late for this, thanks for your help

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
i would replace the loom as heat would of damaged the indsulation of alot of other wires you cant see

Amped

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk wags & Vl berlina
i'm with clubby_you also a lot of wires link back and double up a complete engine loom from the wreckers wont set you back to much and it easier to just swap it over and much quicker.
also that wire hanging loose sounds like the knock sensor wire it could have been hanging loose for a while and the plugs broken off