Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on how to customize my VY Berlina

ucrvme

[UCRVME]
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden VY Berlina
Hey Guys, I'm after advice ect. on modifications i can do to my Vy Berlina i've gotten a REDBACK 2.5 sports exhaust and berlina comes with a cold air induction pipe..

i'm a complete noob i saw other cars with performance chips ect and stuff idunno..

my thoughts

Braided lines kits - looks cleaner
DBA 4000 Rotors - stopping power
MDS Performance coils - can i run this with normal s/plugs

Im getting extractors soon btw.

let me know guys please

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
Hey Guys, I'm after advice ect. on modifications i can do to my Vy Berlina i've gotten a REDBACK 2.5 sports exhaust and berlina comes with a cold air induction pipe..

i'm a complete noob i saw other cars with performance chips ect and stuff idunno..

my thoughts

Braided lines kits - looks cleaner
DBA 4000 Rotors - stopping power
MDS Performance coils - can i run this with normal s/plugs

Im getting extractors soon btw.

let me know guys please

The berlina came with a CAI? That's new to me but guess the previous owner done it.

What engine does it have, the V8 or V6?

What budget do you have?

If it's V8, straight up go forced induction, cam, extractors and a tune. If the budget isn't large just stick to the last two, as it will leave you with the option of FI or a cam later on.

V6 I wouldn't bother with much more then extractors and a tune.

Then there's visuals like brakes, change the rear lights to Calais/SS.

But for goodness sake don't go sticking a Chev logo on there lol

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

PS: Stay away from "performance chips" on ebay. If you want a quick, cheap power gain I'd suggest just go extractors and a tune from a guy on this forum called Greenfoam,fire him a PM, mail order tune which from what I hear is VERY good bang for your buck.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
you can't order a mail order chip for a Vy, infact you can't even exchange the computer as it is coded to the BCM of the car.

What is your budget?

For $900 I had a MoTec 600 fitted to my V6 ute. that already had SS growler induction + extractors , (standard from cat back).

It is running low 14's with only a computer and airflow upgrade. and bendix brake pads for stopping power.

braided brake lines are great but why not wait until about 160000+ when they've actually had some real use before upgrading. the beauty of braided lines is they won't expand.

MSD coils won't give you a power upgrade, but will give you cleaner ignition.

a full exhaust, not just extractors is anywher between $700 - $ 1600 for something decent.

exhaust, air cleaner upgrade, and a computer will see some real power altering changes for under $2000.

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
you can't order a mail order chip for a Vy, infact you can't even exchange the computer as it is coded to the BCM of the car.What is your budget? For $900 I had a MoTec 600 fitted to my V6 ute. that already had SS growler induction + extractors , (standard from cat back).It is running low 14's with only a computer and airflow upgrade. and bendix brake pads for stopping power.braided brake lines are great but why not wait until about 160000+ when they've actually had some real use before upgrading. the beauty of braided lines is they won't expand.MSD coils won't give you a power upgrade, but will give you cleaner ignition.a full exhaust, not just extractors is anywher between $700 - $ 1600 for something decent.exhaust, air cleaner upgrade, and a computer will see some real power altering changes for under $2000.
Dude that makes no sense, one minute your saying you can't change the computer then your saying you done it and suggest he do it?
Please don't use SS growler inductions, restricted air flow resulting in negative performance for a little bit of noise

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Dude that makes no sense, one minute your saying you can't change the computer then your saying you done it and suggest he do it?
Please don't use SS growler inductions, restricted air flow resulting in negative performance for a little bit of noise

you can't exchange the computer for another factory item, while you send yours away to be reprogammed.

but you can, install a new computer (non holden) and have it programmed to suit your car like I have done.

SS inductions are not restictive compared to the standard item. I'd say go the pod filter, but I keep things legal these days. been there and done that, and had the yellow slips and not going back.

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
you can't exchange the computer for another factory item, while you send yours away to be reprogammed.

but you can, install a new computer (non holden) and have it programmed to suit your car like I have done.

SS inductions are not restictive compared to the standard item. I'd say go the pod filter, but I keep things legal these days. been there and done that, and had the yellow slips and not going back.

So why wouldn't they be able to code it to the BCM when they re tune the chip?

Dude anything is possible with computers, so don't say it isn't. Now you may be right and no one is offering it, but from what your saying, basically if there is a fault in your computer system that Holden is going to replace the whole car or computer for a simple chip?

ucrvme

[UCRVME]
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden VY Berlina
thanks guys really appreciate the advice. the CAI was from previous owner i found out its an ss induction kit (i couldnt belive that the previous owner left notes in the car manual)

its only a v6 so i'm gonna take Benjamin Ks tip of getting an extractors ect ..

ucrvme

[UCRVME]
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden VY Berlina
forgot to mention, i would never put the ebay chip in my vehicle i type in google and got a huge section of bad reviews it doesn't seem smart i might save up the cash and get a real upgrade..

I still would appreciate more info

my specs currently are 2003 Vy Berlina s1
2.5 inch catback exhaust
Msd Coil Packs
I was told at repco for stopping power the DBA 4000 are good but 5000 series slotted are much better so bought those.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Simplest way to make a V6 perform is to supercharge. Personally i wouldn't bother - for the money spent trying to get more power out of the V6 you could just get a V8 - and they respond far better to mods.

Spend your $$ on making it handle, look nice, and on interior comforts ;)

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
So why wouldn't they be able to code it to the BCM when they re tune the chip?

Dude anything is possible with computers, so don't say it isn't. Now you may be right and no one is offering it, but from what your saying, basically if there is a fault in your computer system that Holden is going to replace the whole car or computer for a simple chip?

PLEASE READ POSTS BEFORE RESPONDING!!

I said " you can not put another holden computer in your car while you send yours away to be reprogrammed."

yes you can have a computer changed to suit your car by holden. BUT if you take you computer out and send it to this guy to program how the **** are you gonna drive your car to holden, to get the exchange computer programmed. and why the **** would you spend say $200 on a computer from the wreckers and around $95 for holden to program your BCM so it accepts the computer when YOUR original will be back in a week anyway.

in otherwords. on a VX to VE you can not JUST open it up and exchange a memcal (they don't have them), you need to get a completely reflashed board. $600+ from a reputable programmer.

THERE ARE NO CHIPS IN VX to VE's.... IT IS PART OF THE BOARD

DBA 5000 are great once they are warmed up, how is the braking sound? I have heard they sound like you've got a paper bag sucked up into the rotors.