Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on improving sound quality

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi all,

I've got a VZ Commodore Executive. Stock Blaupunkt head-unit. Front passenger speaker failed, bought a set of 2 JVC CS-V626 speakers. Installed the new speaker on that side. Now I'm a little concerned that the sound from that speaker is a bit "tinny" and "off-beat", any voices in the song sound a bit "distant" or as if they are "in the background rather than upfront".

Now maybe I'm wrong and all I have to do is install the other JVC speaker in the driver's door, then tune the bass and treble settings. Am I right there? Or will I have to by an amplifier? If so can you please advise me as to which amplifier I should buy and how much I should expect to pay?

Can you also please explain:
  • What does an amplifier actually do?
  • What is meant by the number of channels an amplifier can offer? The more channels, the more expensive?
  • Where can I install the amplifier?

Here are the speakers: Ryda Car Audio - JVC CS-V626 6" Car Speakers($39.85)

One more important question: Did I make the right choice to buy these speakers? Are they better than the factory ones?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, I've heard there's a mate around here called Phreddy who is the know-all in this stuff. Can he help me on this?

Last edited:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If you hooked the positive and negative wire up backwards on the new speaker it will make the speaker sound tinny and not right. Try swapping the wires around to see if it improves the sound.

The stock speakers have been chosen because they put out a reasonably balanced sound in the doors and with the power the stock head unit can provide. Aftermarket speakers generally sound tinny in an unsealed standard door and with stock head unit power.

An amplifier increases the amount of power. Do a Google search.

The number of channels is the number of speaker outputs it has. Again, do a Google search. These are very basic questions you could have found the answers to in seconds via Google.

Amplifiers are generally installed in the boot or under a front seat.

Those speakers are rated at 30Wrms so you want an amp that does 30Wrms or more per channel.

turbobrian

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS Commodore 6 speed.
Best ways to improve car audio:

Replace the stock 6" speakers with 6.5" splits in the front, and 6.5" splits in the rear.

If you have the budget, install a 4 channel amplifier, if you want to keep (or cant afford to replace) the stock headunit, you can get 2 LOC units which convert the front and rear speaker signals into Low Output, and then run RCA from the LOC to the amplifer, and speaker wire from the amps to speakers.

This will enhance the audio and make the headunit work with less effort. It will also provide clearer sound at low and higher volumes.

If you want bass, you can either install 6 x 9" speakers in the rear or a subwoofer with a mono-block amp. (I suggest not doing both, because unless you filter the 6x9 speakers, you will get overlap in the sound, and it will not sound as crisp or clear, it will sound muffled and poor).

Unless you have a VX or prior, you will need to look at face plates as well as headunits for a headunit upgrade, and you will loose the volume control on the steering wheel.

B.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
If you have the budget, install a 4 channel amplifier, if you want to keep (or cant afford to replace) the stock headunit, you can get 2 LOC units which convert the front and rear speaker signals into Low Output, and then run RCA from the LOC to the amplifer, and speaker wire from the amps to speakers.

Hi, I'm planning on keeping the rear speakers, I don't want to spend too much. I'm also keeping the headunit: I don't want to ruin the appearance of the center console + want the steering wheel controls. I already have these 2 JVC speakers.

I like the idea of this LOC mod for the headunit. How much would it cost, and how easy (or difficult) is it? Will adding this mod make both my JVC and factory speakers sound better? Do I really need to get an amplifier for the LOC mod to be effective?

Just to note, the headunit has the LOC button on it. But nothing happens when I press it :hmmm:

HOLD3N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Are you saying you only replaced the speaker on the passanger side where the factory unit failed? if so different speakers will sound noticably different and could experience what your saying. If you have changed both front speakers there is a chance you have mixed up one of the pos/neg polarity at the speaker.

to really get the most out of your existig system you could sound deaded your door panels and enclose the service holes in your door behind the door trims. This creates a box like enclosure for your speakers and reduces cancellation of sound. Its a DIY job and can be the best upgrade you can do for your sound system, very noticable improvements

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yes, I only replaced the speaker on the passenger side. I guess I'll install the other JVC speaker on the driver's side too. Only way to find out if it makes a difference, and if the speaker on the passenger door is indeed connected up wrongly.

I've heard of sound-proofing material called Dynamat. Highly unlikely to find that where I live. Any other alternatives?

I'm afraid it might be risky taking off the door trim myself. I've seen it done, and I've also seen the guide here on how to do it. Just hoping it isn't a job that's easier said than done.

Can I have a guide as to how to wire up the speaker please?

Last edited:

turbobrian

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS Commodore 6 speed.
LOC devices are available from places like JB Hifi, Strathfield, and similar places, but they are just Line Converters to run to an amplifier, they dont change the actual sound signal, just convert it from high-output (standard stereo output) to Line Output (RCA/Amplifier signal).

LOCs are easy to install, take the 4 wires fromt he headunit for front right and left, take the 2 common's and join them, then fit to the common of the LOC, take the left and fit to the left input of the LOC, then take right input and fit to the right input of LOC, and your done. No Soldering, no other issues, the inputs on the LOC are similar (but smaller) to an amplifier's speaker attachments, just a small screwdriver.

they slide up in behind the headunit if you can find space, and your done, 1 instant set of RCA outputs.

Can also be used on aftermarket headunits to double up on front and rear speakers, use LOCS to create a 2nd set of front and rear RCA outputs, then run multiple sets of speakers if you choose to.

B.