Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on purchase of a vr/vs v6/v8 manual ute

vsute97

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Blown SSV Ute
Hi folks, ive got myself a 1997 vs s pac ute, auto v6 and looking at an upgrade...
just wondering on what everyones opinion is on the vr/vs and the 6 and 8 cylinders
and which ones are the better to get, obviously it must be a manual.

comments and things to look out for on the various models would be appreciated, cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you want manual you will probably have to go for a 6 as they are the most common....and if it's a VS it will have the dual mass clutch and the Getrag box....both expensive to fix so try and check that these are in very good condition. Later is always better but they are getting very hard to find especially unmolested ones. Check country dealers as it's surprising what turns up at places like Bathurst or Mt Isa or wherever. You will pay big dollars for a really good one....usually double what a sedan would go for.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
After owning the ecotec and the buick V6 and now the holden V8 I am convinced the V6 is only for grandpa driving reliability wise.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
After owning the ecotec and the buick V6 and now the holden V8 I am convinced the V6 is only for grandpa driving reliability wise.

I'd agree 100% with that - but if you want to keep your license.........

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Going from a v6 auto ute to a v8 manual ute with an lsd.
Would be like a party with charlie sheen 8 women and a suitcase of drugs, OUT OF CONTROL.
id still upgrade to the v8 manual though, you just have to be careful.

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
not many clean unotuched vs utes going round these days. i got lucky and got mine for 6500 completerly stock with a fresh repsray :) cleanest vs ive ever seen IMO.
Look around mate and my v6 manual vs ute keeps me pretty happy for my first car and is quicker then most my mates N/A jap cars so thats a plus.
Keep looking and you will find the car mate

part_time_hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss series III ute
yeah mate go the v8 manual, i got mine couple of months ago series 3 ss had 90000kms mint, swapped it for my dual cab lux, weapon, just watch out, the rear likes to kick out a bit under a squirt of juice, spend the little extra and get something in good nic