Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on Purchasing New VE with SIDI 3.0

Remy

Remy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega International 3.0
Hi,
Well, my experiment of downsizing from a 6 cylinder to a 4 cylinder has failed dismally!
I'm considering buying a new VE Omega 'International' 3.0 SIDI (with the leather trim &
18" alloys for $35,990). But I'm a little concerned about the low torque figure.
I mainly use the vehicle for travelling to work in Sydney plus a couple of longer trips to the country each year. I average 15,000 clicks per annum. I'm 50 years old and admit to being a fairly conservative driver. I'm not a leadfoot. I don't tow a van or trailer. I just want a large car which is reasonably economical around town but will comfortably 'swallow up' long distances on a trip.
My question (considering the test drive really doesn't reveal much about the car) is: can anybody tell me if the low torque figure might cause practical issues for me, considering the type of driver I am and the uses I intend for the vehicle? Has anybody else had experience with this new engine?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I just bought one! (so you know what I'm advising you to do) :)

i went for the 3L wagon though- then as factory option got an SV6 front spolier and side skirts with nice 20's- AND tow pack. going to look sweet- and be cheap to run :).

torque wise they are great mate. you said yourself you arent planning on towing, AND you arent really a leadfoot... so what you are planning on buying is spot on. i'm planning on towing (rarely, not nearly on a regular basis), and I'm very impressed with the response of the engine.

dont forget that the new engine is now strapped to a new 6 speed box- and this makes a huge difference. this new one kicks the crap out of the old dated 4 speed cluncker. in terms of acceleration when you need it, having 6 gears naturally equates to shorter ratios in each gear... and this is very noticeable when you jump off the line. i know you said you arent a 'leadfoot', but dont have any concerns over torque... seriously.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Remy,

Take one for a drive and decide from there. By all accounts the SIDI engines are very good but if it has enough guts for you off the line is something that only you can decide. If the 3.0 isnt quick enough then maybe consider a 3.6L model.

Reaper

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I would personally only go the 3.0L if it spent most of its life in the city/suburbs.

Low torque is going to **** you if in your travels you encounter a lot of hills.

Test drive both and go from there. If I had to choose, the 3.6L.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
And then there's the V8!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh real torque

Hsv is king

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
I have the ve berlina with the 3.0 sidi and do mixture of city and highway driving and i have found it to be very good

The engine certinally does not lack power ,you cant really put the boot into it for the first 3000kms because it revs its heart out but it is fine after the 3000 kms service dont know why this is

Even with cruise control and hills it have any issues which was and issue with my vy

When you put the boot into it does sound great ,otherwise the engine is also very quiet and fuel effcient

I would alo look at a belina if you will be doing longer trips not much diff but few more comfort features

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
the FG 4.0 and the 3.0 had a comparo not long ago, with alot of hill climbs, the bigger engine (f**d) was more fuel efficient due to it have much better torque.

However suburb/city driving would yield different results.

Weapon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VS
i dont understand, you want good fuel economy... but yet you will pay $35,000 for a new car.
my v6 has plenty of torque and powe, i also get about 9L per 100km as i am also a conservative driver - even if i am a P plater.

if you want power, get an Ls1 - when driven correctly they can return about 14L per 100km comfortably (you could buy a really nice vx clubby for $19,000 and with the remaining $16,000 im sure you can put it away to your fuel account, which im sure you wont go through in your lifetime)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
?

talk about extremes!

an LS1 or an old beatup VX... surely there's a middle line?
oh wait, there is... a new VE :).
sure, you 'could' put that 16k you speak of towards fuel... but you better leave some for the replacement parts you'll need when they start falling off down the road ;).

there's a lot more to a car than power and fuel economy. a newer car is safer, has better creature comforts, more reliable, has less running/repair costs, and is more pleasant to drive (all things being equal.... because a 67 pony fastback is very old, but VERY pleasant to drive as well) :).

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
i dont understand, you want good fuel economy... but yet you will pay $35,000 for a new car.
my v6 has plenty of torque and powe, i also get about 9L per 100km as i am also a conservative driver - even if i am a P plater.

if you want power, get an Ls1 - when driven correctly they can return about 14L per 100km comfortably (you could buy a really nice vx clubby for $19,000 and with the remaining $16,000 im sure you can put it away to your fuel account, which im sure you wont go through in your lifetime)

I get as low as 5.2l/100km on the freeway in my 3.6l, most people buy new cars for different reasons, me because I could afford it, im still on my p's, love my VE

A correctly driven Ls1 would not yield 14l per 100km!! It's a V8!! There meant to scream lol