Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advice on s/c

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
hey everyone, got a problem with things im going to do to my car..... 1st i was going to go a N/A stroker kit for my vn but then found out i couldnt because its series 1, and then i was thinking about supercharging and someone told me i couldnt supercharge it with gas... is that true? and i was looking on the capa site and if there is any of the s/c that i can run on my engine then which one is it? and what would i have to do to make it stronger to make sure i dont break anything in my engine? anyway thanks in advance and any help will be a big help and here is the capa site, btw my engine is stock as a rock and what sort of exaust would be best if i get supercharged? 3"?

http://capa.com.au/kits_holden_vnvy_v6.htm (im looking at capa because they can run on high psi, my car will be stock at the beginning but will slowly get more worked and so will the psi)

hope that all made sense, anyways thanks

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
To be honest for that much you should be able to swap your whole engine for an L67 (factory s/c) which can easily run up to 10psi without cooling. In fact it should be even more powerful because it runs 165KW (225HP, same as the CAPA kit) @ only 6psi. Another factor to consider is all the aftermarket gear is already done for the L67 (check out the FIT website), easy package path for 300KW+. CAPA kit is going to need custom work and alot of trial and error, none of which comes cheap.

It's not a good idea for gas, i believe it is possible but not easy and not common. Direct injection LPG should make it easier but it's not here yet and it will be expensive.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
hehe yeah i wouldnt mind the ecotec but like i dont want to do a conversion.. because im only 18..... and insurance companys with a conversion? they will have a field day with my ass if i smash it, and yeah all i want to do is either work my engine so its powerful enough to keep a smile on my face but not powerful enough for the cops to pull me over every 30 mins haha :D:D:D and i got told a sc14 is a good s/c? but they cant go above 10psi or something? and i MIGHT be able to get a series 2 (just informed) but not for a long time but.. so if all goes bad ill just get the series 2 stroked if it comes my way :D

In fact it should be even more powerful because it runs 165KW (225HP, same as the CAPA kit) @ only 6psi.
ummm im pretty sure it has it in kw on the site doesnt it?

Direct injection LPG should make it easier but it's not here yet and it will be expensive.
its not here? i thought thats what taxi's have been using for the last 15 years or more? and if i was to do that how much would it cost to convert my nomral dual fuel to direct?

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
Gas and s/c, the motor will run alot harder, gas loves forced induction but then you will have to build your motor strong for gas.
castlereagh rod shop have bolt on s/c kits from about 2500, running light boost to give a 25-30% increase in power.
depends on money and how much power you want?
And LPG injection is avaliable hear from ohg, but it isn't quite suitable for bigger capacity motors yet.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
taxis use a mixer still, and to convert to straight lpg, you will have to rebuild your motor with stainless steel valves and rings to take the extra heat, along with cooler plugs.
its not a cheap conversion if you want to do it properly and keep reliability in the factor.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
so lets say i get this series 2 engine? if i was to send it 2 COME racing and get it stroked to handle 10psi... and i was to get 1 of their packages?(capa) to handle 10psi? would my engine run fine? and so gas will work fine with my engine? because someone said something about their not good with forced induction for some reason :S.... but if it turns out alright then id be happy, because i dont want to mod my engine then find out i cant run it on gas... thanks heaps:D

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
Why not for the moment just get a dyno tune or something to make it a little quicker than stock, and look at upgrading your brakes, diff and transmission (things that will all need to be done if you plan on keeping the car and stroking/supercharging it)? When thats done, you will probably have more of an idea of what you want in the way of an engine, and the rest of the car will be ready to handle it. Just an idea

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Why not for the moment just get a dyno tune or something to make it a little quicker than stock, and look at upgrading your brakes, diff and transmission (things that will all need to be done if you plan on keeping the car and stroking/supercharging it)? When thats done, you will probably have more of an idea of what you want in the way of an engine, and the rest of the car will be ready to handle it. Just an idea

yeah thats what im going to do, im not doing my engine anytime soon... im just getting the info early and research bla bla bla uno wat i mean, 1st im going to make sure my engine is running perfect(well about as perfect as u can get for a 17 year old car), then suspension, brakes then change my diff to a reco lsd, then trans reco and stage 2 shift kit and cooler.... THEEEEEEN comes the engine work :D:D so yeah its not going to happen in the next couple weeks or anything, im just researching:)

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
so true, one of my mates found that out when he didnt research and didnt know much and rushed into turboing his car... with the money he spend he could of done it right but didnt get the best prices and was screwed half way through, dont know how much money he spent all i know is it was a fair bit