Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on what to do

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
I guess i should start out by saying i really love my VE. Mainly for how it looks, but with a number of issues arising with its build quality im not sure what to do. Do i trade it in? Sell it? Fix it? Live with it?

Here are a list of issues iv had.

The faults include:
- CD player doesn’t work 70% of the time – displays disk error and ejects the disk.
- Bluetooth drops out
- Carpets don’t line up to the door sills, similar situation with boot liner.
- Squeeky clutch pedal
- Squeel from under car on acceleration, possibly clutch?
- Drive line clunk when changing gears, usually from 2nd to 3rd gear. 2nd to 1st gear is difficult whilst the car is moving
- Clutch sticks down and slips when this happens. Has happened when im pulling on to highways from standing start, as well as between gears and the car is in motion. The clutch slips badly and i pull over immediately.
- Speedo screen breaks into 2 halves till car restarts - small screen in center of dash
- 3 flat batteries
- Pulls to left under brakes - some brake noise also
- Gears sometimes grind on the change, even when clutch is fully depressed. Other drivers have noted this also.
- Front bar not aligned and moves.
- Passenger side fender indicator fell out whilst driving.

A few of these issues were reported to holden and claimed to be fixed upon the 15,000kms service. The clutch slave (?) cylinder was replaced shortly after as this was believed to be the cause of the clutch issues. This did not resolve the issues and within the past week the clutch has become difficult to use, and rather heavy. Especially when the car is cold.

So what do i i do? I paid 30k for this car. Its not a lot of money to most people but im only 19 and want a car that is reliable enough for me to do 700kms or more a week in.

Hope someone has some ideas.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
that really sucks, !

your car seems to have ALL the glitches.

only one or 2 happened to me, did you try taking it back to Holden ? what did they say ?

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
- Gears sometimes grind on the change, even when clutch is fully

I get this too, but I have a feeling that its caused by a low oil level. Mine does not grind, but its a bit notchy, specially when selecting 3rd or 4th. Will get it checked out when it goes in for the 3000km check in a month.

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
Mate, take it to your dealer and demand they fix these issues, surely it would come under warranty.

Don't let them F**k you over just because you are young.

You have every right to have these issues resolved, and 30k is a lot of money regardless of the type of car anybody has.

Cheers mate i hope they fix this for you.

Mike.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
that really sucks, !

your car seems to have ALL the glitches.

only one or 2 happened to me, did you try taking it back to Holden ? what did they say ?
Holden have been useless, they either can find the fault or say they have fixed it, but ill be half way home from the dealer and it happens again

I get this too, but I have a feeling that its caused by a low oil level. Mine does not grind, but its a bit notchy, specially when selecting 3rd or 4th. Will get it checked out when it goes in for the 3000km check in a month.
Im taking mine in for the 30,000kms service in a couple of weeks now. I as much as i want them to fix everything, i cant afford to be without my car for more than a day.

Mate, take it to your dealer and demand they fix these issues, surely it would come under warranty.

Don't let them F**k you over just because you are young.

You have every right to have these issues resolved, and 30k is a lot of money regardless of the type of car anybody has.

Cheers mate i hope they fix this for you.

Mike.
Cheers mate, unfortunately my age plays a big part into the way people assume i drive the car. Ill admit that iv given it the beans a few times, But i dont beleive its been over 4000rpm more than 10 times. I bought the car off a guy worked at the dealership, so weather that helps me or not. Things like the carpet i don really care about, but when i spend so much time behind the wheel i want my clutch working and my cd player

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
They're all warranty issues. Strap on a pair and get the dealer to fix it.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
They are indeed warrantee issues, but the dealer constantly reports they have fixed the issue, or have not found one. I work from the road, no car = no pay. I cant afford to leave it with them a week so they can fix it

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
mate to be honest all the clutch and gearbox issues will only be fixed when you replace the clutch with an aftermarket item. the ripshifter really really helps as well. i'm also in talks with red line oils about a gearbox oil for these boxes with no friction modifier. the cd player issue should be an easy fix. they just replace it with an updated unit.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
They are indeed warrantee issues, but the dealer constantly reports they have fixed the issue, or have not found one. I work from the road, no car = no pay. I cant afford to leave it with them a week so they can fix it

I didnt have this issue with holden, but it was a similar issue with a repairer.

Sent my car in 4 times because the CD player wouldnt work, they said it was working perfectly and that they had done everything they could, and now it was my problem...

Im assuming the fact that they thought i was just some young s.o.b. they could take me for a ride, thats until i read over my insurance policy and all i had to say 'fix it now or i'll take it to court under the section of blah blah on my policy'

badically what im saying is.. (and i know its alot easier said than done, and i know you have better things to do with your time) go to the dealer, say that you want ALL of those things fixed and working AS THEY SHOULD BE, and check in with them EVERY day.. they wont be able to wait to get you and the car out of their hair so hopefully theyll do a good job, and quickly.

IF you can... leave the car with them (and borrow someone elses?)... it takes up space. tell them that you wont be taking the car until everything is fixed to your satisfaction, and call them EVERY day to check up on it. But like you said, 'no car = no money' so not an option if you cant get another car in the mean time

dont let them push you arund.. but all this is in an ideal world, i know you probably cant be stuffed with all that, shame is the dealers know that most people cant be bothered

hopefully it works out for you bud

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
It is probably a silly question but what dealer are you going to and do you trust them? Perhaps taking it to another dealer might change the outcome of at least some of the problems your experiencing. Some dealers I believe can be lazy and just want your car in and out the door ASAP. Not too interested in technicalities.

I bought my VE Calais from Mantello Holden (Roxborough Park) in early October. She is a used car (ex AVIS / Budget). Been back a few times regarding issues with:

• Display cluster malfunctioning (flashes, random codes, messages of doom :devil:)
  • Squeaking rear suspension :love: (they replaced the springs with new ones)
  • Knocking noise in front struts (placed a rubber dowhacky somewhere to fix that)
  • Stitching in leather rear passenger seat come apart (restitched )
  • Dash and centre console lights not working (replaced pole switches - both were damaged and were supposed to be done prior to delivery)
  • Rear tail lights have excessive amounts of 'bugs' in them. :confused: (replaced with new units on both sides)
  • Steering wheel controls sometimes non responsive (fixed with instrument cluster software reflash / update)

In each case they took me seriously and fixed the problems.

Recently though my LCD screen has been giving me some seriously funky colours. I might get the rainbow tomorrow if I'm lucky! :yeah: If it keeps this up I will take it up with Mantello and I'm sure there will be a fix for it.

Aside from my LCD screen at the moment the car has settled down really well these last few months. Just come back from Sydney and the car ran perfectly.

Classifi3d Calais... the CD's you are trying to play... are they burnt from the computer or genuine copies? I had errors with my stacker reading discs. Turns out it didn't like 'burnt' CD's to well. I made the exact same CD later that day but recorded it at a lower speed and it worked a treat. Presumably the CD I used was a cheapo or never burned on my laptop properly the first time around. But if yours are from a shop (let's say from JB HiFi) then you shouldn't be having any problems at all.