Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on who does best rebuilds

5cluby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport
Hello everyone just purchased a VT 5litre 195 clubsport. Needs lots of love done to it. Wanted some help on who does best rebuilding of motor,trans,diff,brakes.
Also interior Re trimming and paint aswell. Thank you everyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 304
Search for your local performance shops then give em a visit about something stupid and have a look at the cars there working on... astras and camrys on the dance floor or hsv n fpv haha

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman 304
Hello everyone just purchased a VT 5litre 195 clubsport. Needs lots of love done to it. Wanted some help on who does best rebuilding of motor,trans,diff,brakes.
Also interior Re trimming and paint aswell. Thank you everyone
When you do find one make sure you let em know all the work u need done. 1 if they know there goanna make proper money off you they might hook u up and 2 you might find they don't do trannys. Either way they should know a reliable bloke. If your goanna get the engine worked which I'd recommend seeing as it's already getting pulled and stripped remember all the kws in the world don't meant anything if your gear box can't handle it!

5cluby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport
When you do find one make sure you let em know all the work u need done. 1 if they know there goanna make proper money off you they might hook u up and 2 you might find they don't do trannys. Either way they should know a reliable bloke. If your goanna get the engine worked which I'd recommend seeing as it's already getting pulled and stripped remember all the kws in the world don't meant anything if your gear box can't handle it!

Thanks yeah I have spoken to a couple of rebuilders and I have mentioned to them I want the trans rebuild and diff they both told me they have someone which is good. I still shocked on prices. For a 383 stroker I’m looking at $28k no tranny done. And for 355 Stroker around $22k again no tranny done. I’m lost on what to do

5cluby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport
Is there actually anything wrong with it?

it’s got 250thousand ks so needs a freshen up and I want iT to have more power etc needfront seats retrimmed and a paint job

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
it’s got 250thousand ks so needs a freshen up
Not necessarily, K's aren't always the best indicator of engine condition. If it's got low compression or is getting heaps of blow-by and burning oil then fair enough, but if it's properly maintained it should soldier on - I personally know of one that's at 400,000km and is only now starting to have issues.

Those prices are pretty wild though considering the cost of parts (just look at the individual price of regular stroker cranks), and machining shouldn't blow it out like that. Pavtek have 355 304 long engines off the shelf for just under 10k, so maybe see if their price to rebuild yours is better if they weren't one of the ones you approached. Dunno if Come racing is still operating or who owns it now if somebody else does.

5cluby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubsport
It was my father in laws car has been sitting in the garage for 3 years. It might be ok but id prefer to freshen it up etc. I will call come racing today and let you know what they say.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just try and find a shop that does a lot of Kingswoods and early Commodores (or even ones that have a lot of experience with Small Block Chevs) rather than ones that tout late model big power builds. It's not so much they won't do the work for you, but they're just kind of not as interested. The 5L is a bit more of a cult engine these days which seems to be something the old school fans like tinkering with, so don't discount smaller older places either.

Duggan balancing may also be another one to approach.