Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advice or tips rebuilding rb30

trewartha

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden rb30
g'day all

i just puicked up a holden rb30 and am going to rebuild it, i am hopeing to keep it n/a but want to get at least 250 - 350hp if thats possible without a turbo?

i've never worked really rebuilt an engine before so was wondering if there are any tips or advice you guys could give me before i start. Also it was set up to run on gas and fuel is there anything i'll need to change to get it back on fuel alone or can i just bolt on a new head and injectors??

so far i've got a few mods in mind they are

lumpier cam
DOHC off a rb25( i've heard this is a good mod anyone got feedback?)
shaved head
ported and polished ( depending on price)
advanced timing

thats what i've come up with so far any feedback or personal opions would be good.

cheers michael

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
i think you will be stretching it tyring to get that kind of power out of an rb30 without a turbo. i think if you want to get power from n/a you really need to go with a v8 imho.

besides, heaps of people try and get insane amounts of power from an n/a 6's and you don't really hear or see much success.

dohc is one thing i would definitely be doing. you will need to buy lumpier cams to suit the head though, not the block (i only say that because you wrote cam not cams.)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I was going to post the other day but didn't want to hurt your enthusiasm. It's not a good engine to try and make NA power, the twin cam head will help alot but in the end it's just too small and doesn't have enough cylinders to make good power without boost

trewartha

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden rb30
ahhk yer i know about the cams mate i'm an apprentice mechanic well plant mechanic so i have a fair idea about engines them selves just not how to improve the power as i dnt do much engine mods or rebuilding

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I was going to post the other day but didn't want to hurt your enthusiasm. It's not a good engine to try and make NA power, the twin cam head will help alot but in the end it's just too small and doesn't have enough cylinders to make good power without boost

Could not agree more.

Build it for boost.

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2, VL 5sp Berlina Wagon
its an rb30, there designed for boost, bolt up a standard turbo setup and you'll have more power, or if u got $$$ buy a big setup with components to suit

trewartha

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden rb30
ok thanks guys say i was to put on a stock turbo what other mods should i do will i need stronger pistons and conrods etc etc?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
For anywhere near standard boost or even double standard boost you wont need to strengthen the engine

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
yeah i agree with ^^. Spend the money you would on rebuilding it on bigger injectors, a decent turbo setup, cooler, exhaust, a tuneetc - and you'll far surpass any power you'd be making N/A - for less cash.