Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advice please! ..Is this stub axle okay to use or bin

c@l@is

Reaction score
hi all just want opinions on this before i bother wasting time cleaning up this left strut ..

My concern is the outer bearing closest to the nut was flogged and starting to give in and it looks to have either span on or heated up the outer part of the stub a fraction, from memory the bearing was not noisy as such while driving the car however i was getting some wheel wobble at highway speed from that side of the car so i knew something was about to give! when disassembling the brakes yesterday i noticed the hub nut was quite loose and i only needed minimal effort with multigrips to undo it, borderline finger tight!.

I mean i am no expert on this stuff but it doesn't look overly bad to me and at the same time its not perfect either, not sure how forgiving these are so not sure if i should find another strut and hope its better than this one lol, dress this up a little with some extremely fine paper and reuse, reuse without cleaning it up? .. any advise here would be appreciated

also, would the stub stiffeners sold on ebay be worth using in this case? i don't go fast they would be purely to limit bearing movement.

cheers :)

Attachments

• stub axle.jpg
    stub axle.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 157

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
New is needed.
If that stub axle breaks ————-

c@l@is

Reaction score
Ahh okay that's a bummer I was thinking the bearing might spin on the seat but I didn't think for a minute it might actually bust :(

Problem with getting new is they are NLA

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Ahh okay that's a bummer I was thinking the bearing might spin on the seat but I didn't think for a minute it might actually bust :(

Problem with getting new is they are NLA
I've reused worse when I had to. If I couldn't get genuine second hand GMH axle in good condition I'd be very wary of new copies by unknown vendors. Make sure there are no cracks visible and the completed bearing assembly is tight when the bearings are adjusted.

To adjust the bearings I tighten the nuts up to 13 N-m then back them off a notch.

c@l@is

Reaction score
thanks MikeC, will give it a gentle cleanup later and post a couple better photos to get a final verdict :)

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
be fine, clean up the high spots with sand paper or a 2nd cut file, don't use the angle grinder. Put a new bearing set on with new seats obviously.
Structurally that scoring will have no ill effects on the strength of the axle. It never got hot, the steel hasn't gone blue meaning high temps around the bearing. Be 100% ok

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not the best pic but it doesn't look to bad.

c@l@is

Reaction score
gave it a quick cleanup with some wd40 and 2000 paper .. bearing seat actually looks reasonable but now im questioning the pitting through the middle..

don't mind buying one if its really a problem just the holdup factor and chasing used parts when im trying to keep my head down as much as possible at the moment with what's going on

Sorry about the pics i keep having to resize it wont let me upload otherwise grr

Attachments

• hub1.jpg
    hub1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 123
  • hub2.jpg
    hub2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 119
  • hub3.jpg
    hub3.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 118
  • hub4.jpg
    hub4.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 128

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I personally don't like the look of the pitting.....It looks to me like it has been in the weather which has caused the pitting...There's no sign of it being hot though...

Choice is yours but with the pitting, I'd be turfing that strut and getting another one