Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice Re Purchase Of Commodore Required

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
Hi All.... Haven't been on for ages... good to see theres still a few of the old regulars still taking part in forum.

As My Calais has come to a sad end I am looking at purchasing a commodore $5,000 tops.

Which model provides the best value for money at the moment???

What I have picked up on so far:

(based on Executive V6's private sales)

VN's Theres a hell of a lot around the $1000 - $2000 mark - in poor to average condition $3000 seems to get you a pretty decent one.

VP's Seem to go for another $1000 more than a VN

VR's Seem to go for another $1000 more than a VP

VS's Seem to go for another $1000 more than a VR

I have many questions....
I have a mate with a exec V6 VP, It seems to be built better than my old VS?? Seems tougher somehow. I'm sort of thinking I'd be better with a VP in Excellent Condition than a VS in Average condition(?)

Me mate reckons go a VS any day as ecotec was a vast improvement but i'm not so sure....

I'm not neccessarily looking for the fanciest car out there just something in good condition - tough and reliable. I figure $5,000 would be better spent on an older model....

The missus wants another VS, but i've been telling her that theres just as likely to be as many things go wrong with a VS as with a VP for example (taking it for granted that you find a nice VP with low mileage....

What do yas reckon about Ecotec versus non ecotec???

HELP SOLVE MY DILLEMA!!!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The VP Engine is known to be the most reliable V6 engine and our VT and VS have had several issues despite my VN being 100,000km's more in mileagae and the biggest issue I have had mechanically is the fuel filter being clogged :p That and a power steering leak.

The VN S2 was a big improvement over the S1, but the VR was a backwards step. The ecotec is a better engine mostly in head design, but reliability you cant go past a VP. VN S2 had the same engine but the VP interior and exterior seems to hold together better.

Plus the VN S2/VP are the fastest standard commodores to date :)

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
thanks vn2nv, thats the sort of advice i'm chasing and the way I am tending to lean so far....

although it would seem from previous polls that the VS is the favourite model....

i spose the VS is more of a comfortable cruiser being a later model but if what you want is maximum reliability and toughness it isn't neccessarily the best value for money at the moment.

(this is coming from a bloke who has owned a VS Calais!)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
id go a vp for that sort of money, you'd pick up a real nice, low k's vp for under $5k and still have change left over for the rego swap and a service.
i had a vp as my first car and i really miss it (i wrote it off after only owning it for 16months), they are good cars. vn's are a bit "rougher around the edges" and most will have quite a few k's on them. i wouldnt even look at a vr, i dont know what it is, but i never liked them...they're in a sort of limbo transission between vp and vs.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
sircruisealot - its the way i'm swinging - better off buying an older model in mint condition than a newer model with possibly more kays or poorer condition

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Done a ton of km in all of the above. I wouldn't touch a VN with a barge pole but you should be very happy with a well looked after VP/R/S - all are good reliable transport.

Watch for rust around the back windows of the VP and leaking/faded tail lights. I like the VP body shape the best though :p

Reaper

Attachments

• DSC00532.JPG
    DSC00532.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 136

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
1991_Vn2nV said:
Plus the VN S2/VP are the fastest standard commodores to date :)
where did u get that information and what u class as standard surely the new alloytecs are qucker then an early 90's buick

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
lieos said:
where did u get that information and what u class as standard surely the new alloytecs are qucker then an early 90's buick

The information is based on both Holdens figures and Wheels figures for 0-100.

Standard means Executive/Omega. The early 90's buick was basic, but it is a torque machine :p

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
yep, the vn was the quickest standard executive commodore

Streetvision

Scar-Non
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Hey well my Vp has done more than 300,000 km, the guy who had it before me one of my parents mates has had it since new and hasent had any problems with it besides the usual stuff and a crank angle sensor.

I've had it a few months, replaced the raidiator and its been running fine ever since.