Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice sought for VT On Gas

WeaponWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LX6 Adventra 2005
got my acclaim wagon converted at 199,000 & still running fine 226,000. Had a few issues early after the conversion that required updating leads, plugs, o2 sensors and throttle position sensor, but other wise enjoyning the financial benifits

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
I would have no hesitation doing it, providing the motor was checked out first. You would need to get more details on the advertising though. I have a VT Calais with 186,000 ks on it and it's going beautifully on gas. I have just had my wife'd VX converted for $450 (after rebate) and it has 194,000 ks on it. My last gas car, a VP Calais, had 365,000ks and was running smoothly when I sold it. I am sure that MikesVT has never had a VT on gas otherwise he wouldn't be coming up with such wild figures. It costs me $8.00 to do 100ks with a V6. I'd guarantee that his figure is nowhere near that.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
SLAF, Gas IS cheaper... But how much cheaper? How many times do you have to fill up before you actually start SAVING money? If you fill up once a week, thats 52 times a year. Just say the difference is $6 each time (because It works out to be about $1 or so difference per 100km and I get roughly 600 to a tank). 52 X 6 = $312 a year saving... Not bad... But how much does it cost to get the conversion? How much does it cost when things start to go wrong with a car that has high kms (as seen in this thread not always the case but is the majority) such as engine rebuilds etc etc? All I'm saying is, people seem to think its so cheap because they neglect to take into account all the costs involved in the conversion and how long it will take to make up the difference. ALSO, when you go to re-sell... Is someone going to WANT a car that was converted to gas when it had 190,000ks on it? How much will you be losing on your resale also.
Just a few things to take into account...

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
I am really impressed with your mileage MikesVT. If it cost me only $1 more per 100 ks I wouldn't bother changing over either. Trouble is I think the figure is closer to $4 per 100 ks extra.

My Maths may be wrong but ... if you get 600 ks out of a 75 litre tank, and fill up with 65 litres, that works out at 10.8 litres per 100 ks. Even if you were able to buy petrol at $1.10 a litre, that's got to cost you $11.90 per 100ks. That's nearly 50% more than what I pay. If this is the case, LPG has got to be worth it. I have sold 4 cars on gas and the only reason they sold over other cars was because they were fitted with LPG.

Last edited:

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hahaha, my VT is running at 13.3/100.
I'm just going by what I've seen other on the forum post and from what i've seen with other VT owners.

And what I was saying about the gas conversion. IF I was looking for a car with gas, I wouldn't go for one that got converted at such high km's. If you know what you're looking for I don't think anyone would do that. But then again not many people buying cars know what theyre looking for :p

VXIIwagdf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Wagon dual fuel
In Vic the gas price varies between 40-55cents a litre while petrol varies $1.20-1.35. Say average difference of 80 cents a litre.

do 10,000 km on petrol at 12 litre/100km @ $1.20 a litre =$1440
do 10,000 km on gas at 14.5 litre/100km @ $0.40 a litre =$580.

So with an average difference of 80 cents a litre the above saving ($860) is the average saving.

I've kept a log for EVERY fill of my original VN on gas (for 200,000km) and now my VXII. I use about 15% more gas the petrol. The above calculations are based on 20% more gas than petrol.

$200 for a conversion. You do the maths

Last edited:

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
im thinking about getting gas, have for a while... hmmm.... prices??

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
In Vic the gas price varies between 40-55cents a litre while petrol varies $1.20-1.35. Say average difference of 80 cents a litre.

do 10,000 km on petrol at 12 litre/100km @ $1.20 a litre =$1440
do 10,000 km on gas at 14.5 litre/100km @ $0.40 a litre =$580.

So with an average difference of 80 cents a litre the above saving ($860) is the average saving.

I've kept a log for EVERY fill of my original VN on gas (for 200,000km) and now my VXII. I use about 15% more gas the petrol. The above calculations are based on 20% more gas than petrol.

$200 for a conversion. You do the maths

Precisely. Good info VXIIwagdf

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fuel prices in vic (melb) vary between 108 - 124, yeh yeh gas still cheaper... But petrols comin down....... for now... :p

If your gonna get a gas conversion may aswell do it now before price of petrol skyrockets again and everyone will want a gas conversion. I wouldnt do it on an older car or a car with a lot of km's due to the risk of damage to the motor and the whole thing on resale.