Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice sought for VT On Gas

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
I'm open for a bit of advice..
The mechanic I go to installs LPG systems.
He has offered me a deal on my VT wagon.
With the government cash back offer he will install complete system for $200 The deal is though he wants to use my car to advertise his business.
I imagine he wants to put stickers over the back window etc etc & a few pic's of the inside to show where the spare wheel will be repositioned with the donut tank fitted where spare normally fits etc etc.
I don't have any drama's so far...

Anyway now for my concern..My VT has 190000klm on the clock & I'm saying to him the old donk will **** itself within a few months, then I'll be up for a expensive rebuild..probably by you at a cost of $$$$$$$.

So what do you recon boy's or girl's does this sound like a deal & a half or should I stay clear...

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
i wouldnt bother, save your 200$ for a new car????
or repairs... lpg is probbably gonna go through the roof soon with all these people converting

however it may be worth it to save a few bucks... i guess, but i wouldn't want someone sticking crap all over my car..

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
190,000 on the clock? Dont do it. Not worth having to get a new motor after a few months. Plus, Gas prices are going up, gas burns alot faster than petrol so your putting in twice the amount anyway, eg. the price you pay for gas to travel the same distance isnt all that much less than petrol.
Not worth it mate.
Thats just my 2cents

lockmac

Reaction score
190,000... is that really a lot of k's to start thinking about an engine rebuild? im just curious because im looking at a 99' vt calais with 216,000 and don't want to be buying a car that will need a rebuild very soon... although i wouldnt buy the car if it doesnt drive well in my own mind

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
lockmac said:
190,000... is that really a lot of k's to start thinking about an engine rebuild? im just curious because im looking at a 99' vt calais with 216,000 and don't want to be buying a car that will need a rebuild very soon... although i wouldnt buy the car if it doesnt drive well in my own mind

I've seen a 2000 Statesman with almost 500,000kms on it... Hahaha, Commodores (and commodore related models - calais, statesman, caprice) last a long time... There will always be a few duds out there, but you'll get a fair bit of use out of it still. Once again depends on how its been looked after and what not. Might be worth while looking around a bit more, seen a few 99 calais with k's around the 140-160,000 mark going for between 11,000 and 14,000

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
lockmac said:

I'd try & find one with a few less K's on her..How much you paying..

Out of interest guy from work selling his dad's vt2 v6 sc calais for $13000.
I think it has 130000klms on the clock

Back to your original quote:Nah mate I don't want to even think about a rebuild either, but I think I would be if I convert..

After reading the comments I think I'll pass up the offer.

Cheers Trevor

VT2VEight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Chev V8
I just gassed my Gen3. Its got 170ks on the clock. I figured might aswell pay $1800 out of pocket expense for a injection system and save money each week at the bowser. I drive my car everywhere, and its so much nicer to give it some without always worrying about the fuel gauge dropping so quick. I filled it up today after only a week of having it installed. The meter flciked to red a couple of times so I thought it was getting empty. I filled it up and it only took 48 litres. So realisticly i still had 27 litres remaining in the tank. So for 48 litres I did 300kms. Now for a V8 and i really thrashed it this week i think that is phenomenal fuel economy. Considering I only used to get about 350-370ks for about 60-65litres of fuel, I was totally impressed. The best thing is that 48 litres cost me only $26 bucks!!!!!

I am however having some issues with the responsiveness on LPG. Basically if i give it more than a 1/4 throttle the car seems to start resisting. Dont know whats going on there. I havent gone back to the mechanic yet to get it checked out but it feels as though the gas isnt coming out quick enough for my accelaration style. It left me in a few hairy situations today. So hopefully once i get that sorted out, I'll be a very happy camper.

If anyone has had this problem on their vapour injected LPG car please let me know what it might be. One guy suggested that my car may need a Dyno Tune for LPG. Something about remapping the computer or something...

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
my mates vt has over 300,000k's on the clock and still runs sweet.

and with the gas deal u should be ok putting gas on it maybe get your engine checked out first 2 see how well it would handle the gas system.

VT2VEight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Chev V8
Just had my car dynoed today. There is a serious problem somewhere with my installation of LPG. I have lost exactly 100hp at the wheels, or about 70kw. The guy who did the dyno run said it might be a computer tune issue. The car is definately going back to the mechanic tomorrow!

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2VEight said:
Just had my car dynoed today. There is a serious problem somewhere with my installation of LPG. I have lost exactly 100hp at the wheels, or about 70kw. The guy who did the dyno run said it might be a computer tune issue. The car is definately going back to the mechanic tomorrow!

Shite that's not good to hear good luck tomorrow.