Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice SV5000

Heathenman13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
Just scored genuine low kms SV5000 motor as replacement for engine i blew up in my 93 VP SS,
Will this motor plug up to my car ok & will my VP V8 ecu be compatible to run this engine as it didint come with any wiring or ecu etc

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
SV5000 engine has slightly different cam (crane 268?) with round port heads like group a engine so headers may be different.

Other than that will bolt in just the same just may require memcal tune to run nice.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Have heard some sv5000’s had 4 bolt mains but wasn’t aware they had d port heads

Should run fine on the stock tune but you’ll notice a difference with a good tune

Heathenman13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS
Question, how did you manage to blow up the 93 VP SS motor?
Those things are near bulletproof
Anyone who knows me will tell you nothing impossible with me ..it had high kms &to be honest they are strong motors but I'm surprised it lasted for the 4/5 years of abuse it got!!! Let's just say I wasn't in happy mood on the day & it got caned hard

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Have heard some sv5000’s had 4 bolt mains but wasn’t aware they had d port heads

Should run fine on the stock tune but you’ll notice a difference with a good tune

How many had 4-bolt? Almost positive heads were stock. The only post-VN Group A cars I've heard with 4-bolt were VP GTS and VP 5000i (I think).

HSVBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh vn vt
Only VP 5000i motors have a 4 bolt mains block,they were just using the left over GRPA blocks. The rest of the motor is SV5000 spec. SV5000 heads are not stock,they are o port heads with larger valves and porting and yes have a tuned length port matched extractors. They are 9.01 compression with flat tops the same as grpA and as such will need memcal or custom tune. Memcal code for SV5000 is easy to remember ATFL (a tough five litre). Cam is as stated above,crane 268 and they have a larger throttle body as standard. Good score mate.great motors and highly sort after....look after it.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Only VP 5000i motors have a 4 bolt mains block,they were just using the left over GRPA blocks. The rest of the motor is SV5000 spec. SV5000 heads are not stock,they are o port heads with larger valves and porting and yes have a tuned length port matched extractors. They are 9.01 compression with flat tops the same as grpA and as such will need memcal or custom tune. Memcal code for SV5000 is easy to remember ATFL (a tough five litre). Cam is as stated above,crane 268 and they have a larger throttle body as standard. Good score mate.great motors and highly sort after....look after it.

And VP GTS.

shaness8

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG F6 VX SS
All the SV5000 engine got was cam and Piston's and they received HM headers and a different airbox .
Heads and throttle body are the same as regular 5.0lt.

hsvvp5i

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Senator 5000i
To be specific, the HSV VP 5000i 200KW motors came out in two variants the black motor used in GTS & Clubsport 5000i has Grp A block, four bolt mains and D port heads. While the VP 5000i Red motor used in Senator 5000i has the same specification as Sv 5000 motor except camshaft selection. (Revised head valves, larger exhaust & springs , revised camshaft, flat top pistons, double row timing chain, & counter weight on crankshaft, revised throttle body butterfly valve angle at idle, etc..)
The Red & Black engine covers VP 5000i motors including GTS used the same camshaft, which is more refined and progressive under hard acceleration then the crane H268 used in the Sv 5000 motor. Both Red engines used on Sv5000 & Senator 5000i are two bolt mains.