Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice SV5000

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by Heathenman13, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Heathenman13

Heathenman13 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP SS
    Just scored genuine low kms SV5000 motor as replacement for engine i blew up in my 93 VP SS,
    Will this motor plug up to my car ok & will my VP V8 ecu be compatible to run this engine as it didint come with any wiring or ecu etc

2. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    SV5000 engine has slightly different cam (crane 268?) with round port heads like group a engine so headers may be different.

Other than that will bolt in just the same just may require memcal tune to run nice.

3. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Have heard some sv5000’s had 4 bolt mains but wasn’t aware they had d port heads

Should run fine on the stock tune but you’ll notice a difference with a good tune

4. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Question, how did you manage to blow up the 93 VP SS motor?
    Those things are near bulletproof

5. Heathenman13

Heathenman13 New Member

Members Ride:
    VP SS
    Anyone who knows me will tell you nothing impossible with me ..it had high kms &to be honest they are strong motors but I'm surprised it lasted for the 4/5 years of abuse it got!!! Let's just say I wasn't in happy mood on the day & it got caned hard

6. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    How many had 4-bolt? Almost positive heads were stock. The only post-VN Group A cars I've heard with 4-bolt were VP GTS and VP 5000i (I think).

7. HSVBMW

HSVBMW Member

Members Ride:
    vh vn vt
    Only VP 5000i motors have a 4 bolt mains block,they were just using the left over GRPA blocks. The rest of the motor is SV5000 spec. SV5000 heads are not stock,they are o port heads with larger valves and porting and yes have a tuned length port matched extractors. They are 9.01 compression with flat tops the same as grpA and as such will need memcal or custom tune. Memcal code for SV5000 is easy to remember ATFL (a tough five litre). Cam is as stated above,crane 268 and they have a larger throttle body as standard. Good score mate.great motors and highly sort after....look after it.

Deuce likes this.
  8. Brettly-2008

Members Ride:
    And VP GTS.

9. shaness8

shaness8 Member

Members Ride:
    FG F6 VX SS
    All the SV5000 engine got was cam and Piston's and they received HM headers and a different airbox .
    Heads and throttle body are the same as regular 5.0lt.

10. hsvvp5i

hsvvp5i New Member

Members Ride:
    Vp Senator 5000i
    To be specific, the HSV VP 5000i 200KW motors came out in two variants the black motor used in GTS & Clubsport 5000i has Grp A block, four bolt mains and D port heads. While the VP 5000i Red motor used in Senator 5000i has the same specification as Sv 5000 motor except camshaft selection. (Revised head valves, larger exhaust & springs , revised camshaft, flat top pistons, double row timing chain, & counter weight on crankshaft, revised throttle body butterfly valve angle at idle, etc..)
    The Red & Black engine covers VP 5000i motors including GTS used the same camshaft, which is more refined and progressive under hard acceleration then the crane H268 used in the Sv 5000 motor. Both Red engines used on Sv5000 & Senator 5000i are two bolt mains.

HSVBMW likes this.
  11. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I don’t think we’ll ever have a 100% definitive answer. Nobody believes that there were vu prefixed roller blocks, but there were. The 5000i engines are almost 10 years older than those and even more rare. Just about all information is heresay unfortunately.

12. Brettly-2008

Members Ride:
    Anyone got a pic of these 'D-port heads'? Which part of them is D-shaped? I'm curious as I've never seen a set of 'VN' heads any different to any other (in the port area anyway).

13. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    I would assume it is the exhaust port.
    Capital letter 'D' on it's side so flat is at the port floor.
    I've seen it on other manufacturers heads (not holden). It's supposed to eliminate the dull slow moving area at the floor of the port I think.

14. hsvvp5i

hsvvp5i New Member

Members Ride:
    Vp Senator 5000i
    E80F2BF7-B918-4011-809C-21245218302F.jpeg 1716DCF0-779C-44F0-B099-225845E8B849.jpeg Named D port heads because of larger exhaust ports, the bottom of exhaust port is a straight line. Then it curves around like a Capital D

15. Brettly-2008

Members Ride:
    Cheers hsvvp5i

16. HSVBMW

HSVBMW Member

Members Ride:
    vh vn vt
    These are the most documented engines around,20 seconds of googling will find everything. The upgrades were mentioned in every brochure,advert,motoring reviews and all through the 90s in commodore magazines. Please, if you don't know anything don't post. If the op needs further info let me know,i have all info and workshop manuals plus owned my current SV5000 20 years.

17. HSVBMW

HSVBMW Member

Members Ride:
    vh vn vt
    If you don't know anything why post? Two people that do already have. Heads and TB are not stock standard.

18. HSVBMW

HSVBMW Member

Members Ride:
    vh vn vt
    Please post some pics when you drop it in whatever its for......your welcome to join the SV5000 registry on facebook if you interested. Only for owners of the cars but 5000i engined vehicles are also welcome.

19. shaness8

shaness8 Member

Members Ride:
    FG F6 VX SS
    Hi since you have all the documentation on the SV's and owned 1 for 20 yrs i also had 1 back in the early 90's, would you care to elaborate on the Heads specs like Inlet & Exh valve size and valve springs pressures and where the head has been ported, I've never heard of a O port VN head or did you mean D port, i would love to know the difference specs between these and the regular vn heads.
    Also you say the throttle body is larger than the regualar VN could you tell me what size it is.
    Thanks

20. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I have plenty to do with 5L’s - it’s a public forum and everybody is welcome to post. My point is that there are many more roller cam engines and blocks around but barely any accurate and useful info.

Plenty of the ‘documented’ information for the 304’s is just plain wrong, and I wouldn’t believe much of what I read online at all unless I have the engine in front of me or have very clear pictures.

shaness8 likes this.