Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice wanted

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum or not, but anyway........

THere's a white 1990 VN commodore for sale close to my home. It has a tow bar, V6, all that stuff, is in stock condition and I know it's genuine. Has about 270,000 kms.

Apparently, it has a chip in the windscreen, an oil leak on the sump or something (not sure how bad it is) and a few other bits and pieces. The exteriror of the car looks very good, and I'd say the interior is good too.

Asking price is $1200.............the bloke reckons to get a roadworthy for it will cost about 700-1000 (i think). Oh, and rego is till december 06.

I'm not familiar with the pricing for Vn commies so good advice would be appreciated.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
VN sumps are whores to fix.... Windscreen means new one to pass roady, im guessing there is heaps else wrong with it also. looks are decieveing. Keep lookig mate. You can do better than that.

aZk.

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Ah crap............we're going to have a look on Saturday..........Ah well.............My dad's not actually a fan of the VN, I just talked him into having a look and told him it'd be cheaper than the Statesman! :lol:

Ah well, thanks for your advice :)

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
just remmeber there is plently of vn's out there so dont be dissapointed if this one aint up to scratch.

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Thanks mate. VN's aren't exactly my fav car either, but I wouldn't mind one.

THing is, I know what I'm buying here, whereas, with the amount of stolen VNs there are, you can't be too sure what you're buying half the time.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
mate if you love HZ's why do you get one with a 202?
$1200 should get you one thats ok.

dont compromise if you dont have to.
my 2 cents

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
...Which gasket??? THERES A FEW... and if its the head, which im guessing it is, then run and dont look back. ahahah VN's a great with a heap of work on them. Replace ALL the suspension and fix a few things like p/s pumps, few bearings and seals (trim) and your good. i love vn/vp's... just wish they had new parts still avaliable, ie, switch clusters... i want trip buttons!!!!!!\

aZk.

wes_v8

WES_VN
Reaction score
Website
streetrides.20.forumer.com
Members Ride
04 Vz Sv6 6 speed
yea if this one is no good don't worry cause there is pleanty out there, also i would try get him down to $750? $700? tell him u have the money and chances are he won't refuse, but have a look around first, thats what i did and i got my VN Calais for $2250

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Yeah, actually...........thing is, I'm only 14 myself, so, the car would belong to my dad................as he'd be paying for it.............and driving it.

I spotted a nice HZ Statesman SL/E...........used to walk past it every thrusday last year on the way to sport. I showed my dad last week so maybe we'll go have a look and ask, coz it's been sitting there collecting rust.

Also, are Gaskets cheap to fix or replace?

And I'd probably prefer a VK or VL if i had to get a commodore.

Well, if it's worth buying at all, I might suggest to dad to offer him 800 or something. But we need to have a propper look first.

And thanks for all your contributions guys........