Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harleyf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman
Hey guys,

I have a series 1 vS statesman, 150,000ks service history etc etc. had it reparayed (professionally) so I'm not wanting to get rid of it easily/give up on it.

Since buying off the first owner it's had new engine mounts, all new pulleys, new aircon compressor, new radiator new air intake otr, new bonnet new front bar, led head lights etc so I've thrown a bit of money at it.

To the point, was driving to work yesterday reversed out of the driveway and had stopped and as changing to drive it stalled, I rolled into a car park and then it started and off I went.

Crossed and intersection, waitied at a round about but at the next round about it stalled again while waiting, wouldn't start again. So left it and walked to work. (Drained he battery getting it going)

After work (at night) i jump started it and it went, left it to idol for about 10 mins and it stalled. So tried to jump itnagain and it wouldn't go.

Pulled the plugs out to see it any were getting spark etc put them back in and 20mins later it started. So drove it straight home.

Started first go this morning, by this time I had reconnected my high beams (I had them disconnected, fuse was still in would the kill the power enough to stall?) check air box sensor and blew the dust away. Checked fuses etc.

It sat there 30mins idoling, drove it up and down the drive way a few times and had no dramas. Engine temp was warm so don't think it's a problem of shutting down when it warms up.

I don't wanna head to work and stall again as I live in a cbd area and had to push it around a corner and leave it there. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Should I even worry about it now that it's been running in the drive way?

Any help what so ever would be good

(When it stalled it didnt cough of splutter just shut straight off)

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5462.JPG
    IMG_5462.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 122

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
V6 or V8? first thing Id do is check for error codes...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
From that description it sounds like an alternator issue, particularly because of the way it starts after you wait a while. The battery rests (insert technical term here) and regains enough charge to turn over until it drains from firing the engine.

Put a multi meter on the battery terminals while it's running, should be showing close to 14v. If it's under 13 you've got issues.

Harleyf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman
It's a v6,

I was thinking altenator as well as I noticed it's got a bit of a squeak noise on start up from the altenator (not the belt slipping scream) then goes away once car is warmed up.

I have a friend with a second hand altenator I could throw in or is it not worth it and I should buy a new one?

I'm mechinally minded to extent but when it comes to this stuff it's not something that's happened before aha

Harleyf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman
From that description it sounds like an alternator issue, particularly because of the way it starts after you wait a while. The battery rests (insert technical term here) and regains enough charge to turn over until it drains from firing the engine.

Put a multi meter on the battery terminals while it's running, should be showing close to 14v. If it's under 13 you've got issues.

"I replied to in a comment"

Harleyf

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman
I'd say CAS (Crank Angle Sensor) randomly failing when warm/hot.
next time it won't start try some cold water on the CAS and see if that works.

I think you're right, as i disconnected the battery and let the car keep running and nothing happened so that should rule out the altenator. CAS centre is down the bottom under a pulley isn't it though?

The sensor itself is cheap to buy by the looks of it, would it be labour intensive?

5$/!&: