Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advise on supercharging my vt 5.0L 383 stroker

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 Vt supercharged 383 stroker
Hey guys, I'm after a bit of advise on supercharging my 383 stroker, going someone has done it already and give me a bit of a heads up!
The car is a vt 5.0L with come racing twin throttle's, come 383 stroker kit, yella terra roller rockers, lumpy hydrolic cam, heads worked to suit 560hp, 36lb injectors double row timing chain and the list goes on. I'm not 100% but I think the compression is 10:1
It made 242rwkw on the dyno with 565nm

Now the big question, I have bought a vortec v3 T-Trim charger kit and intercooler so I was wondering if there are and issues or tips on getting this fitted? Cheers

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
first your going to need a blower cam...because you have a VT roller block id look into a solid roller cam.
Your comp will need to be matched depending on how much boost you run.

When you say your heads are worked to suit 560hp...wheres all this power gone when your only putting out 242kw at the wheels???
Have you got 4 Bolt Mains or what?

Your really going to have to re-design your top end and have it matched correctly by a professional engine builder mate....
You cant just bolt it on and hope it works....I know I wouldn't, as its a lot of money to invest on something to have it turned pear shaped

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
My thoughts:
- Heads will be good as they are,
- Injectors will be too small,
- Cam will have too much duration (and possibly not enough lift),
- Compression will be too high but you may need to change your head gasket for boosted applications anyway so may be able to relieve the chambers to suit (just an idea)
- how strong has the bottom end been built?? as j-man said:
Have you got 4 Bolt Mains or what?

talk to VS HSV MANTA on here as he is doing something similar.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Compression may be fine, your using a centrifugal supercharger which doesn't produce any boost until the revs start to climb so the engine will cope with it a bit better.

Definitely get a cam to suit, I would probably stay with a hydraulic roller, just have a look what the LS boys are doing with hydraulic roller cams, no need to go to a solid in many cases if you can get a decent hydraulic roller profile to suit. Been a roller cam you can probably re-use the roller lifters if they are in good condition. If you go solid you will need to get adjustable rockers as well.

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
The cam I have is a hydrolic camtech camshaft
And it has 2 bolt mains.
Engine was built by the last owner so I'm going off the specs and receipts of the work done.

I Apreciate the help guys, I know this is a big VERY expensive job so I don't wanna screw it up! Lol

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, in regards to fuel system I was thinking along the lines of 80lb injectors, walbro 255lph internal fuel pump(already have) Bosch 044 external and a 2L surge tank?
Is this ok, overkill or way off?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The cam I have is a hydrolic camtech camshaft
And it has 2 bolt mains.
Engine was built by the last owner so I'm going off the specs and receipts of the work done.

I Apreciate the help guys, I know this is a big VERY expensive job so I don't wanna screw it up! Lol

That cam isn't really right for a blown engine, to much overlap, the same cam but with about 114°-116° LSA would be much better. Your best bet would be to contact Camtech and have a chat with them about it regarding the cam.

Also, in regards to fuel system I was thinking along the lines of 80lb injectors, walbro 255lph internal fuel pump(already have) Bosch 044 external and a 2L surge tank?
Is this ok, overkill or way off?

80lbs injectors are probably overkill unless you want to run E85. I probably wouldn't run a high pressure internal pump but just a regular low pressure lift pump if your going to run a surge tank but a surge tank is a good idea.

To work out what injectors you need have a look at an online calulator RC Fuel Injection

60lbs injectors would be good for 600hp (flywheel)

Blu383

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers mate thanks fOr that, I'll defInatly look into a new cam package to suit

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Compression shouldn't be too bad as on the 6l ve's its 10:4:1 and is safe up to 10 - 12psi
mate your comparing 2 completely different engines....not a wise suggestion!

Id definitely want my CR in the 9's before I force extra air down its throat...unless you run E85