Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aerepro Pod question

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey guy's, has anyone used an Aerepro Pod, same as the one pictured here on a VN/VP, with manual windows? Were there any mounting or clearance issures? :thumbsup:

Attachments

• APF60GR.jpg
    APF60GR.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 132

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yes i have used these pods in the VN/VP no problems, it takes a little bit of moving around to get it right but they DO fit, tight as it be ;)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
you dont have any pictures of an instlation youve done with them by any chance?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Good topic. :)

Would also like to know how they fit. The main concern I have is clearing the window winder. Ive installed these in a mates lancer which turned out alright. Have considered VR/S pods but not a fan of the flimsy plastic the speaker gets screwed to and too lazy to make up an MDF version. :p

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No sorry VP i dont have pics....well atleast i dont think i do (will have a look in the album).

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ok so i began installing the Pods today.
First problem i had, my speakers are 6.5", so i had to sand the Pods out a little, so the speakers would fit. Its looking tight, but hopefully it all works out ok.

Second problem, I had to cut a small hole in my door trim, to accommodate part of the magnet, but i'm going to make an MDF spacer, in the same shape as the pod, an attach it to base to bring it out just a little further from the door, so there are no clearance issues to worry about.

Otherwise, all is looking good, and i just need to find some vinyl that's the same colour as my door trim, and re-cover the pod so it matches....:D

Also they clear the window winder fine, as can be seen in the 4th pic, you can see a pencil line, of where the winder goes to...

Attachments

• DSCF1355.jpg
    DSCF1355.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF1353.jpg
    DSCF1353.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF1357.jpg
    DSCF1357.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF1358.jpg
    DSCF1358.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCF1363.jpg
    DSCF1363.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Im not sure but wouldnt you want the woofer to use the door cavity as a "box", just cutting a small hole to allow for the magnet wont give you enough air flow?

Someone else may be able to shed some more light on this though. Otherwise, great job, told you they would fit not problems ;)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yeah i was thinking along the lines of that. The hole in the base of the MDF on the pod, is 5inches, the hole i've cut in the door trim, is around 4 inches. So i can look to make that a little larger...All though i cant see any reason to make the hole in the door trim, larger than the hole in the base of the Pod...The Spacer i'm adding the base, will be 18mm, or there abouts, so that should give me a little more enclosure aswell, once fitted.

Attachments

• Photo0164.jpg
    Photo0164.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
By making a hole in the door trim and the plastic covering that quietens the road noise.... (the bit of clear plastic that is usually attached to the steel of the door) you allow the speaker to 'breathe'.

By breathe I mean allowing the speaker to play deeper bass frequencies.....

If you dont cut a hole in the door trim then the speaker will be 'suffocating'.

It works even better if you sound deaden the door as well but thats a different scenario...

Hope this helps...

cheers

Simon

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah i've cut that clear plastic out already, and i'm just waiting on someone to cut these spacers out for me. I went 12mm, rather than 18.. I won't bother sound deadning anything for the time being, my main priority is to trim them and fit them to the doors...

Attachments

• Photo0165.jpg
    Photo0165.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 129