Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Aeroflow/Holley/Proflow quad throttlebodies... your opinions and experiences

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It depends on the type of DP manifold. The whole point of the DP manifold is to separate the intake pulses, minimise the intake cross sectional area to promote airspeed which should improve torque obviously with the loss of top end power due to the smaller plenum volume each runner sees. The Edelbrock high rise DP manifold tend to suffer from a distribution problem with a 1/2" open spacer fixes, this has been well documented on the SBC manifolds and it seems the 304 equivalent is no different.

Big_Bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V8 Executive
Why are you not running a single plane? It is efi after all.
I decided on the dual plane because the car is still going to be regularly street driven not as a daily and won't be revved much past 6000 RPM if it all above 6000 RPM.
I did consider a single plane quite a lot and figured that the usable power range that the single plane would benefit is out of reach of what my engine is going to be capable of, where the dual plane would help with a good spread across the range with some room to spare at the top end?
I may be completely wrong about all of it lol and I am completely open to everyone's thoughts and suggestions :cool:

Big_Bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V8 Executive
It depends on the type of DP manifold. The whole point of the DP manifold is to separate the intake pulses, minimise the intake cross sectional area to promote airspeed which should improve torque obviously with the loss of top end power due to the smaller plenum volume each runner sees. The Edelbrock high rise DP manifold tend to suffer from a distribution problem with a 1/2" open spacer fixes, this has been well documented on the SBC manifolds and it seems the 304 equivalent is no different.
Great info! I wondered if it'd be worthy or contradicting the use of a dual plane in the first place. More reading and research now

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
IF you want info, talk to Craig at Torque Power, a wealth of info and he loves to talk about it.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Cheapest way ebay hi-winder (china-winder) copy with say elebrock or similar throttle body elbow then slap 2nd ls1 throttle body on it.

hi-winder is low rise single plane although harrop/tp single plane copies with throttle body elbow should just fit under standard bonnet.

If you're really game fit vs series 3 alloy radiator & angle it so vcm otr fits to above setup.

Bolt on YT rockers are good enough for majority street engines.

Don't think you metioned rest of the set up like diff gears with stall convertor or going manual etc.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I decided on the dual plane because the car is still going to be regularly street driven not as a daily and won't be revved much past 6000 RPM if it all above 6000 RPM.
I did consider a single plane quite a lot and figured that the usable power range that the single plane would benefit is out of reach of what my engine is going to be capable of, where the dual plane would help with a good spread across the range with some room to spare at the top end?
I may be completely wrong about all of it lol and I am completely open to everyone's thoughts and suggestions :cool:
Fair thought.
A 5ltr V8 with 10comp will not struggle for torque, at least not where a manifold choice will effect it.
Do TP do a low rise single?

In my view, a dual plane may hold you back in high rpm (could be noticeable) but a single will only limit low speed light throttle IF it has any down side at all.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Meh with decent stally you won't notice any of that low speed light throttle hooplah.

Was driving vh with 355 stroker,harrop single plane (750dp) in Sydney peakhour easily enough...4500 stally helped it although every 2-3 days had to fill it up,was convinced it had holes in tank :D

Big_Bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V8 Executive
Cheapest way ebay hi-winder (china-winder) copy with say elebrock or similar throttle body elbow then slap 2nd ls1 throttle body on it.

hi-winder is low rise single plane although harrop/tp single plane copies with throttle body elbow should just fit under standard bonnet.

If you're really game fit vs series 3 alloy radiator & angle it so vcm otr fits to above setup.

Bolt on YT rockers are good enough for majority street engines.

Don't think you metioned rest of the set up like diff gears with stall convertor or going manual etc.
Car has 3000 stall and 3.73s. Aiming to keep the setup as a bit of best of both worlds, good cruising with the gearing, but enough to get it up and out of the hole nicely with the engine setup in the same way, good strong mid/top end power for having a play. Not setting it up to be a dyno hero or 1/4 mile king.
Want a bit of bite to match the bark :D

Big_Bro

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS V8 Executive
IF you want info, talk to Craig at Torque Power, a wealth of info and he loves to talk about it.
Spoke to him today.... what a guy!
I'd glady sit with him and a box of beer and chew the fat!
Needless to say,I think I may have made my mind up on a manifold! Haha :D