Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFI Fuel Sender Issue

Wolvi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX S2
Hey!
Recently I changed out my Fuel pump in my VX with an AFI Fuel pump and the sender constantly reads empty, I checked the fuel gauge in the dash diagnostics and it still goes up as well as the fuel remaining says 5L even though there's about 30L in the tank, I checked the float and it's not stuck, Could it be the connector or Wiring loom?

Thanks in advance!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Was it working prior? If so faulty sender in new pump, bad earth or connection, called be a sort in wiring loom if wasn't working before.

Wolvi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX S2
Cheers for the reply! Initially the old fuel pump was working just not very well, I replaced it with an after market pump from eBay but the sender didn't work on that either, The petrol sender ohms reading from the dash diagnostics says 0.7 which I do believe is normally over 2 from what I've seen, I need to pull the pump out again and test the ohms but I just found it strange that it's happened on 2 pumps now.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Cheers for the reply! Initially the old fuel pump was working just not very well, I replaced it with an after market pump from eBay but the sender didn't work on that either, The petrol sender ohms reading from the dash diagnostics says 0.7 which I do believe is normally over 2 from what I've seen, I need to pull the pump out again and test the ohms but I just found it strange that it's happened on 2 pumps now.

Called it be your cluster, see if you can get a secondhand cluster cheap to test. Also try tapping to see if needle not stuck.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Fuel gauge troubleshooting begins with isolating the problem either to the gauge, sending unit, fuse or wiring. The most common gauge problems are either a bad ground at the tank, or a sender problem. ... Removing the sending unit wire from the chassis ground the fuel gauge should go directly to “full”.
Found this don't no if it will work.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

It should increase in volts as the tank gets fuller, its just one of those things, When was your fuel filter change last pumps either work or don't, is it running better with new pump? I'm sure the sender wire goes to the PCM first, have you tried pulling the codes? There plenty of videos on Utube about fuel gauge problems.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I think I read somewhere here on JC's this is Grounding connection fault,
near the ECU maybe,
as there is no ground connections at the Fuel Tank for obvious reasons, apart from a anti static strap, or similar for the fuel filler.

Wolvi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX S2
Thank you so much for the help! After doing a ton of digging and pulling the fuel tank out I'm fairly certain it's the ground from the sender, I need to follow it to see where the ground wire leads but will update!
Thanks a ton!