Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM and exhausts

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Is disabling afm a MUST when upgrading exhausts?

I only plan on getting a 3inch Catback (xforce if it matters), just wondering if I can keep afm without any horrible drone

Also side question, anyone have a mild steel/low grade stainless steel xforce 3 inch catback? What's the drone like?

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
When it's drops into 4cyl mode unfortunately it will drone, also sounds terrible from the outside. (I've driven behind a few)
Your options are an AFM disabler (Range) or have your local tuner disable it.
I went with the Range AFM disabler because I hadn't finished with the mods yet to pay for a tune twice.
Will sell the Range when I get the tune done next week.

SS Xforce 2.5" with Varex mufflers.

siniSSterbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Just get it disabled in a tune. But i wouldn't be wasting money on tunes if i didn't have a full exhaust system and cold air intake done.
I had AFM going on mine for a while till i got work done. It was a 3" cat back system and the tone change while noticeable was bearable with only cat back.

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Just get it disabled in a tune. But i wouldn't be wasting money on tunes if i didn't have a full exhaust system and cold air intake done.
I had AFM going on mine for a while till i got work done. It was a 3" cat back system and the tone change while noticeable was bearable with only cat back.
Actually I was planning on the catback with vcm intake then tune. Not sure if headers and cats is a good idea since my SS is my daily driver and it's at 125xxxkm doing about 350km a week.

But then again I could just do catback now and install myself. The challenge is quite tempting haha.

Is catback, vcm intake and tune worth it?

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
When it's drops into 4cyl mode unfortunately it will drone, also sounds terrible from the outside. (I've driven behind a few)
Your options are an AFM disabler (Range) or have your local tuner disable it.
I went with the Range AFM disabler because I hadn't finished with the mods yet to pay for a tune twice.
Will sell the Range when I get the tune done next week.

SS Xforce 2.5" with Varex mufflers.
Are those range things plug and play?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Actually I was planning on the catback with vcm intake then tune. Not sure if headers and cats is a good idea since my SS is my daily driver and it's at 125xxxkm doing about 350km a week.

But then again I could just do catback now and install myself. The challenge is quite tempting haha.

Is catback, vcm intake and tune worth it?
A full exhaust will be fine.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
A full system with headers etc is probably less likely to drone than just a catback mate

Furyfire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
A full system with headers etc is probably less likely to drone than just a catback mate
Its not so much the drone. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it since the car is a daily. All I'm after is bringing out a great V8 sound and a little bit more power. But everyone keeps saying full exhaust haha, so I'm starting to slowly lean that way

siniSSterbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
you will see some gains and fuel economy out of a tune with the things you are doing. But not doing the full exhaust your leaving some of those gains behind and the tune will cost you the same.

And as someone stated. A full system will drone less on the highway.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Are those range things plug and play?
Yes plugs into the OBD port.
As far as a daily goes have a look into a Xforce Varex system, if you have neighbors or want to turn it off every now & again it's fantastic.
Also great on long trips.