Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM and exhausts

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Its not so much the drone. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it since the car is a daily. All I'm after is bringing out a great V8 sound and a little bit more power. But everyone keeps saying full exhaust haha, so I'm starting to slowly lean that way
Go on mate you know you wanna, deeper and throatier sound over a catback not to mention the extra power

Ryan Licastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE-SS S2
Just get it disabled in a tune. But i wouldn't be wasting money on tunes if i didn't have a full exhaust system and cold air intake done.
I had AFM going on mine for a while till i got work done. It was a 3" cat back system and the tone change while noticeable was bearable with only cat back.
You can't just get it disabled...you'll need to buy an AFM delete kit. Usually around $850. They replace the lifters, valley plate etc..

siniSSterbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
You can't just get it disabled...you'll need to buy an AFM delete kit. Usually around $850. They replace the lifters, valley plate etc..

Yes it can be disabled in a tune. And DoD kit includes a cam as you can’t run the dod cam if the dod lifters are taken out.. And DoD kits start at about $2300, then you got to get the work done and a tune. Say goodbye to 4 or 5k to do the job complete.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon

Ryan Licastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE-SS S2
Yes it can be disabled in a tune. And DoD kit includes a cam as you can’t run the dod cam if the dod lifters are taken out.. And DoD kits start at about $2300, then you got to get the work done and a tune. Say goodbye to 4 or 5k to do the job complete.
I'm aware you can't run the dod cam in it but you can't simply have it disabled in a tune...I am a mechanic mate I would know. And they don't start at $2300...GM Motorsport along with other places have these kits for $1200

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
My AFM was disabled via a tune from GM Motorsport when I had my Caprice. Had it done when I got a full exhaust fitted.
My old man also had his done there too.

siniSSterbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'm aware you can't run the dod cam in it but you can't simply have it disabled in a tune...I am a mechanic mate I would know. And they don't start at $2300...GM Motorsport along with other places have these kits for $1200

Wrong. Before i got the cam installed i had a full exhaust otr and tune and the tuner disabled it.

And you show me where a complete dod kit is you can buy for $1200?

Ryan Licastro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE-SS S2

siniSSterbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
There's no cam with those kits for a start.

A full conversion requires delete kit, cam and would also need to be tuned for the new cam. Its a heads off thing too so labour is going to kill $$$ End up being a lot more than 1200 i would think. Plus i just had it done.

Last edited: