Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Afm disable?

weeman1020

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ss Ve sportswagon z series
HI guys , i rang up to get my 3" catback system for my ss and got told that if i was to get it done i would have to get my Active fuel managment disabled or i wont want to be inside the car when it switches to 4 cyclinders . i got a quote of around $1200 to get it disabled and tuned . but im not 100% sure if this messes with the warranty ?

Anyone got any advice on if this does anything to the warranty or any chance to mess with the engine ?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
HI guys , i rang up to get my 3" catback system for my ss and got told that if i was to get it done i would have to get my Active fuel managment disabled or i wont want to be inside the car when it switches to 4 cyclinders . i got a quote of around $1200 to get it disabled and tuned . but im not 100% sure if this messes with the warranty ?

Anyone got any advice on if this does anything to the warranty or any chance to mess with the engine ?

Changing the engine's standard program (tune) is a major issue to disqualify your warranty I read in the documents, not to say that you can't switch it back easily though or that particular change is harmful. It's like aftermarket headers - that will void warranty too but doesn't harm and lots of owners do that.
You can manage the exhaust drone without disabling AFM either by selecting the gear in manual mode or fitting helmholtz pipe(s) to counter it. Also called a J-Pipe, most old hands have seen these capped extensions way back to the Cortina 1600.
This will cost you around $300 extra, measured, tuned, bent and fitted. Will eliminate drone +/- 300rpm around 1800rpm, and halve the volume of AFM Doppler effect around 60hz.
Saves you $900, sounds ace, and keep your warranty.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
When putting on an aftermarket performance exhaust in a car with AFM when it switches to 4 cylinder mode it will drown like bugger and sound crappy not to mention annoy the crap out you.

It can be disabled using the tuning software without having to do a full LS Edit which is what costs the $1000. They are ripping you off.

Find a tuner that will just disable the AFM switching on. Will probably only cost you $200.

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline

Technically it voids warranty but I know the guy at Active Autos in Perth has tuned his and had warranty work done, I have a 2.5 inch X-Force and it did drone a little when AFM kicked in but with AFM it only runs on 4 for short periods. I wouldn't bother getting a 3 inch system ( no point in 12 inches if your missus has a 6" pussy) bugger all in performance increase and noise is fine with 2.5, you can listen to mine below. My next step is to sound proof the boot so I can hear the stereo better. Oh, disable AFM if fuel costs are not an issue, mine did do around 9.4 on the highway but driving from Perth to Esperance after the tune I was getting about 11, maybe just a convenience

I have 2.5 X-Force
Pacemaker Headers & Hi-Flow Cata
Active Automotive Tune
VCM OTR
280rwkw (374.4rwhp) on 95 octane fuels, wish we could get E85 in WA.

Ve SSV 1 - YouTube

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Technically it voids warranty but I know the guy at Active Autos in Perth has tuned his and had warranty work done, I have a 2.5 inch X-Force and it did drone a little when AFM kicked in but with AFM it only runs on 4 for short periods. I wouldn't bother getting a 3 inch system ( no point in 12 inches if your missus has a 6" pussy) bugger all in performance increase and noise is fine with 2.5, you can listen to mine below. My next step is to sound proof the boot so I can hear the stereo better.

I have 2.5 X-Force
Pacemaker Headers & Hi-Flow Cata
Active Automotive Tune
VCM OTR
280rwkw (274.4rwhp) on 95 octane fuels, wish we could get E85 in WA.

Ve SSV 1 - YouTube

Yes dynomat the wheel well walls definitely. Not that hard to put the J Pipes on either, you can buy the bend and ask local muffler shop to fit.

BTW 280 is fascinating with those mods, must be a manual L98? Mine is an L77:
211 new
218 with catback
255 with OTR and HP tune
*CHANGED TUNER
238 same tune different dyno
249 e85 MAFless tune
253 Tri-Ys and TB mod
269 1.85 high ratio rockers

+58 rwkw and +60nm over stock motor
Now I can wear a "340" badge on the back like the new SV VFs:
269rwkw * 1.27 (27% auto Drivetrain loss)

Gotta have some bling to show for the $6800!

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Yes dynomat the wheel well walls definitely. Not that hard to put the J Pipes on either, you can buy the bend and ask local muffler shop to fit.

BTW 280 is fascinating with those mods, must be a manual L98? Mine is an L77:
211 new
218 with catback
255 with OTR and HP tune
*CHANGED TUNER
238 same tune different dyno
249 e85 MAFless tune
253 Tri-Ys and TB mod
269 1.85 high ratio rockers

+58 rwkw and +60nm over stock motor
Now I can wear a "340" badge on the back like the new SV VFs:
269rwkw * 1.27 (27% auto Drivetrain loss)

Gotta have some bling to show for the $6800!

Nope, Auto at 374.4rwhp, plus the guy at Active said he has the exact same mods and his was the same to the decimal point. You can check out their Facebook page, Active Automotive and Performance Centre, my cars in their photos, yellow VE SSv going back about 3 months. It's a good place to check out what performance increases you get for the various mod. A lot of places in Perth that do performance upgrades get the tune done here.
I've done enough to mine now, when you smell burned rubber every time you get out the car you know you've done enough.
I got the Dynamat on order, should be enough for the wheel well and hopefully the wheel arches, I will then get something cheaper to lay under the carpet to cover the whole floor, I'm driving across the Nullabor soon so will need to hear the stereo and radar detector over the general road noise.

Mine at Active Automotive is here https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1576433493.294875.249403893492&type=1&theater

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Whoa nice! That colour is bold, rare and beautiful.
What is the dyno run in green?

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Whoa nice! That colour is bold, rare and beautiful.
What is the dyno run in green?

The two figures are before and after the tune.....$1000 for 18 rwhp, lucky I went to Burswood straight after and won a grand?....I wouldn't bother spending the cash on a tune again much better to spend it changing speakers and Dynamat doors, back seat, boot. If you look at the other photos you will see my mates Black SS ute Supercharged and 640rwkw and still gets around 9.5 l/100kh and 1 set of tyres every time he goes to IGA for an ice coffee.