Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
OldDog, when you finally get the invoice back from the Dealership take note of the lifter part number used. On the G8 board website they have posted the technical service bulletin that relates to the noisey lifters on the L76 motor. Around December 2010, GM started rolling out the revised lifters.

The new part numbers are:

AFM lifter: 12632143

Non AFM lifter: 12676400

Not sure whether the part numbers are going to match up or not. But I do know Holden will try to tell you the engines are completely different and any tech bulletin over in the States has nothing to do with Australia. Which I find amusing as GM have acknowledged an issue with the L76 engine but Holden don't recognise the tech bulletin?? My local Dealership tried to tell me they were different motors and that the lifter issue over there could have something to do with the lower octane fuel used by them. Oh please!!!! Not only do they not know what they're doing, they refuse to acknowledge tech bulletins from other countries that relate to the exact same motor, and tell you all sorts of crap hoping you'll just nod your head. WTF!!

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Here are the current (GMH) listed part numbers for lifters in the GEN4 V8s. From memory they are ACDelco brand.

Part 17122490 are L98 to LS3 standard lifters
Part 12571595 are L76 onward DOD lifters.

The AFM cars use a 50/50 split for the AFM operation

Here is the US Tech bulletin for lifter noise.

Attachments

• 2011-01-09_002805_afm_lifter.pdf
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,205

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well if I ever get the dreaded lifter tick noise in my L77, I'll be sourcing some of the lifter from the States that have been revised (design fixed) and insisting they use those. How could they refuse?? They are original GM lifters for that engine after all...just because Holden doesn't recognise the issue doesn't mean it doesn't exist!!

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
lifters and push rods is old technology and yet holden is use it

get use to it, lifters made noise in the 6's and 8's in cars built in 70's 80's 90's 20's from holden and will until they upgrade their engines to overhead cams

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie

get use to it, lifters made noise in the 6's and 8's in cars built in 70's 80's 90's 20's from holden and will until they upgrade their engines to overhead cams

Maybe so though very little valve train noise in the LS motors & there been around @ least twelve years.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute

Maybe so Oska, and yet i have a 350 chev engine built in 1974, which has a lot of km's on it now and it makes nowhere near as much noise as this. In fact if it did i would have it out for a rebuild. No if it was a common noise i'd accept it and move on.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Around December 2010, GM started rolling out the revised lifters.

The new part numbers are:

AFM lifter: 12632143

Non AFM lifter: 12676400

Not sure whether the part numbers are going to match up or not.

I just had the guys check out these lifter numbers and they do not exist in the Holden Part System (thats not to say they cant be obtained). They may be match to the ones I posted which are on the Holden system.

To source those lifter parts from the US Bulletin you might need to import... I will be out at the dealer on Thursday (car's getting a Trans oil change) and will follow up..

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just walked into my local Dealership and asked them for the lifter part numbers for my 2011 SS ute (L77) and they supplied me with the part number from the States; AFM lifter: 12632143. When I asked him about the part number for the non-AFM lifters he said they don't exist in the L77. According to him the new L77 has all 16 lifters being the AFM type....unlike the L76 which has 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters. If this info is accurate then I'd assume all brand new L77 motors have the revised lifters in them....all 16 of them!! Which is positive news as the guys in the States with the L76 motors, that have had the revised lifters fitted, are reporting no more ticking issue.

OldDog, perhaps you could see if your Dealer installed the lifter 12632143 or whether they installed the exist lifter for the L76 which Hexem has listed above being 12571595??

BackyardSpecial

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
HI OldDog, Has anybody measured the clearances between the lifters and the bore. May be a slim chance but if throwing lifters in did not fix the problem are they sure that the lifter is sitting correctly??

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
According to him the new L77 has all 16 lifters being the AFM type....unlike the L76 which has 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters. If this info is accurate then I'd assume all brand new L77 motors have the revised lifters in them....all 16 of them!! Which is positive news as the guys in the States with the L76 motors, that have had the revised lifters fitted, are reporting no more ticking issue

there are guys here that are having the same issue with the L77 so its unlikely, i've heard a few as well