Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
You must of had either five very bad ones or there been harshly treated! I never said these engines were totally quiet. If you need a quiet eight I recommend a three star.

Cheers
MC
no they werent harshly treated,im refering to the lifter issue. i dont need a quiet 8,never said i did, as i dont give a f##k about the noise anymore. ive fixed the rattle with aftermarket in the past but only because ive cammed that engine etc..ive been down the this oil,that oil path like these guys and i just accept it now.i wasnt meaning to be a smartarse by the way

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
no they werent harshly treated,im refering to the lifter issue. i dont need a quiet 8,never said i did, as i dont give a f##k about the noise anymore. ive fixed the rattle with aftermarket in the past but only because ive cammed that engine etc..ive been down the this oil,that oil path like these guys and i just accept it now.i wasnt meaning to be a smartarse by the way

No worries, many have xp excessive valve train noise with cams in the Ls's. I'm hoping to get our L76 through warranty without too much trouble & then hopefully do some mods.

Cheers
MC

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6

So the cold startup knocking sound in the videos OldDog and myself have posted, you have fixed with aftermarket cam kit? (lifters, pushrods,valve spring etc etc.)?

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
OldDog, what's the latest from the Dealership??

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
No word mate, tried to contact them yesterday about it but just went through to the voicemail. I assume that they have run the engine and heard the noise, so the silence speaks volumes at this point, they'll be working on a solution i reckon. I'll give em a buzz this arvo and see how things are progressing.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
G'day Phil, No word on what the fault is yet, although i gotta say i'm happy with Holdens service, they ring me most days to say they are looking into it and that they'll update me as soon as they know something and that they've extended the car rental etc etc. Last i heard they were gonna talk to GM in the US about it. Pretty happy with the support from Holden actually, now if they could just fix the engine :)

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's encouraging OldDog!! At least they're applying themselves to the job. I think it's great they're talking to GM in the States cause that's where the revised lifter was developed. I vexed a heap of threads on a heap of forums and every since guy that has had their Pontiac G8 fixed with the revised lifters (from about November 2010 inward) have said it instantly fixed their lifter tick and they haven't had the tick return. I'd be pushing up real hard with the Dealership to be fitting these new lifters. Fingers crossed and keep us posted!!

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't ya just hate how the iPhone changes words when you try typing on it with fat fingers like mine and you don't realise until it's posted and it looks like you're posting while pissed!!

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Blue i feel your pain re: fat fingers.

Got some great news though, Holden are replacing the motor with a brand spanking newy! Unfortunately they can't fit up another
L76 so they are fitting a new series 2 engine! What are they an L77?