Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
If the noise was similar in sound to what my old engine was like, you can change the lifters as many times as you like. The noise will not go away.

Before I got a completely new, untouched engine, holden built me a new one. It developed the same noise soon after, then another set of new lifters went it (plus inlet valves etc in the heads), it made no difference. When the Holden yep inspected the engine he said that it was not lifter noise it was engine slap. The slap was "Pistons"..

But what are the chances for 2 motors to have bad bore to piston clearances? Anyway I was given a complete new motor. Be prepared for it to draw out, if you persist while staying calm it will help you in the end.

Phil

Last edited:

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Jesus Tinsnips thats bad, at least with mine i've been told by the local tuner in Dubbo that he can fit a new set of normal lifters and a cam, dyno it and i will get similar fuel consumption to the afm equipped motor. So if it gets bad i guess i have an option. Trouble is it costs me a lot of hard earned $ to pay for this thing so disconnecting a "system" in the car that should work is stupid.

Phil, I'll persist. I'll get an oil analysis done of the engine oil soon as well to satisfy myself that there isn't damaging levels of metal in there...and no they didn't change the engine oil after they fitted the new lifters.

spanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE,VE SS SEDAN
AFM cylinders are 1,4,6 and 7. So they were still wrong.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Well my patience has run out. This engine is now as noisey at it ever was before and that in only a few thousand kilometres. I'm tossing up whether to trade it on something else (but what i don't know, yet) or to just take it to the local Dyno tuner in Dubbo and have him fit non-AFM lifters before it caues more trouble.
I'm also going to write up a letter and send it off to Holden about this, but who to send it too? Sales? Marketing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Hey Tinsnips, Mike? Hell can i send him a letter and he'd actually read it?

Cheers

OD

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
OD,

Mine is back into the dealers again for the same issue now... It's started knocking only this time it take 30 sec of running before it starts. This is my 3rd engine (brand new crate motor) now with just over 8,000klm on it.

Holden have told me they all do it and its because its an all alloy engine.... He is having another look at it on Wednesday morning and talking to TAC about it before doing anything to it. He said it would have to be alot worse than it is before he'd do anything..

Here is the latest video...

I will wait to see what the result is on Wednesday morning. I only know to well your frustration....

Best of luck mate...

Phil

Last edited:

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
That sucks mate tell them they could have thrown an LS3 in by now

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Besides the annoying sound, what sort of damage can the faulty lifters do to the rest of the engine?