Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
You could write a letter to holden or contact consumer protection and explain the problem and I'm sure they would be able to help you with getting parts replaced or a new engine but I think that the time that'll be wasted taking the car back and forth to the dealer and writing letters, phone calls, emails etc it would probably be more benificial to get an aftermarket cam and lifters and get a bit more power out of the engine. I agree with you that holden should fix the problem since it's a manufacturing fault but the likelyness of it happening is nill.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
OD,

I had another inspection done today with the holden rep. Their current position is that they wont do any work on mine unless it gets much worse (as I have a brand new engine - installed Nov2010) as they say it could result in other problems.

If the guy (Performance shop) at Dubbo can correct the problem without going over the top (as you say there is plenty of power now) see if he would be willing to workout a fixed cost as he is likely to get some repeat business from other owners... Heck I would consider taking my car to dubbo if it surely gets rid of it... Or if you provide the brand of parts used...

Cheers
Phil

Last edited:

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
sucks to hear about these problems guys a few people on other forums are having the same problems i was actually thinking about getting a ve but dunno now hope you get it all sorted though

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
well I certainly wont be buying another one... Maybe the VF's new V8 will be better?

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
sucks to hear about these problems guys a few people on other forums are having the same problems i was actually thinking about getting a ve but dunno now hope you get it all sorted though

Yeah theres another thread going on over in the LS1 forum too. L76 Lifter issue (AFM) [Archive] - Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

HEXEM i'm sure your optimism is right but i won't be gambling my hard earned on that, i'd rather work on getting this one right, then at least i know what i got.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Yeah theres another thread going on over in the LS1 forum too. L76 Lifter issue (AFM) [Archive] - Australian LS1 and Holden Forums

Not only that one, there are plenty of others. Some have said they solved the AFM lifter issue my deativating the AFM function (using tuning software) and changing out all the lifters and replacing them with LS7 lifters. I did enquire about this but the part number used to purchase them was not in the holden spares computer system.

I'll try and dig up that post and get the part number quoted...

Last edited:

brodster

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn hsv wagon
Mite be faulty oil filters witch drain out over night instead of holding oil.when you start in morning you get rattle until filter is full .have had that happen on early engines before

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
G'day Brod, yah though of that one but usually the lifters rattle from that straight away. This is a bit odd in that the lifters don't rattle straight away but about 30 seconds after start up.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Mite be faulty oil filters witch drain out over night instead of holding oil.when you start in morning you get rattle until filter is full .have had that happen on early engines before

Oil filter can't drain of oil as it sits at the bottom of the engine beside the sump. It remains full of oil at all times. Unlike some other engines which the oil filter sits on the side of the block allowing oil to drain back into the sump..

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
So just to update this a bit, i've sent off a letter via registered post to Holden stating the issues i have. Lets see where we go from here. You'll have to excuse methough, i'm a bit of an optimist :)